Boody hen question **update**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by willkatdawson, Mar 6, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I have a very broody BO hen that has been trying for some time to sit on some eggs.. I wouldn't mind if she hatched a couple of my pure BR eggs. I have made a comfortable, safe from the other hens, area in the coop closet. I moved the eggs she has been sitting on since yesterday into the closet but, she wouldn't sit on them she was going crazy to get back to the nest box where she was before even though there were no eggs there anymore. I have no problem with her brooding in the nest box but, the other hens drive her out to lay their eggs and so she goes to another nest box. Is there some way to move her to the closet where she can have peace and quite to lay on the eggs?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I am no expert on this topic but I would like to know. From what I have read here on the forum is that the best time to move a broody with her eggs is at night. Hopefully someone else can answer.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

or you can sequester that box, depending on your set up. my friend tacked up chicken wire over the front of her enclosed nest box, so the chicken was safe in that box... and just physically took her out 3 times a day for exercise and water and food....

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    put her and the eggs back in the original nest and block it (for today) from the other birds-- even just a flap of fabric should do...
    then after it gets dark, move her and the eggs to where you want them. They always say "do it at night" and it worked for us! [​IMG]

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I suggest the move at night.

I have done what you have done but I put fresh eggs in the spot I want her to sit in, so if they don't go to sitting for a day it doesn't matter. My experience is they fuss for a while and then give up and sit on the eggs you want and where you want.

6. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
  7. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    So far so good. I went out tonight and placed her and her eggs in the closet area in the coop where she will have privacy. She puffed up and talked a little and then she settled right down on her eggs! I hope when it's morning and she can see she will still be happy to be in there.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by