Book Club Chooses Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau for first read. Please join us!

Library doesn’t have it so I won’t be able to join on this one.
I certainly understand. I have apparently borrowed 141 books from my library electronically. I can't imagine buying all of those! You might be able to request that they purchase Mary Jane and catch up later if you are inclined to do that. They will often honor those requests.

I certainly understand. I have apparently borrowed 141 books from my library electronically. I can't imagine buying all of those! You might be able to request that they purchase Mary Jane and catch up later if you are inclined to do that. They will often honor those requests.
I may. They are actually taking requests for books to be added right now. Though I think only from certain authors I’ll have to see if she’s one of them.

Ok. I'm a day late starting the discussion. Feel free to comment in general about what you liked or didn't like about the book.

1st question is : How do you feel about the title "Mary Jane." How does it relate to the story, and can you think of an alternate name for the book that would be better?

I'll answer after I give you guys a chance to weigh in. @Sally PB, this is your tag in. Feel free to ask the next question :)

1st question is : How do you feel about the title "Mary Jane." How does it relate to the story, and can you think of an alternate name for the book that would be better?
Reference to marijuana.
Mary Jane's, rather conservative foot wear of that era.
I thought it was a good title.

I kept thinking of Sheba as being Cher. Maybe I was supposed to?

Izzy, the 5 year old, is SO well behaved. I kept waiting for the kicking and screaming of a tantrum, but there never was any. I liked how precocious she was. I baby sat a lot in high school back in the 70s, and she would have been fun.

I like how the characters grew/changed by the end. The only one who didn't was Mary Jane's dad, with his racist bigotry.

@Sally PB and @aart , I agree with both of you. I think others in reviews have also mentioned Sheba as Cher and I definitely caught both Mary Jane references @aart mentioned. She also starts off kind of plain Jane in the beginning but blossoms from there.

Question 2 if you accept my challenge: when did you realize adults/your parents were flawed and did not have all the answers?

Back
Top Bottom