Book review - recommend a book

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Hi all, anyone read a really cool book recently that you would recommend or would like to tell us about?
Me, I love Jilly Cooper, she's a tonic! I enjoy Kathy Reichs' novels and I love James Herriot and Deric Longden's animal stories.
If I have to single out a novel I'd say Rani Manicka's "The Rice Mother" was one of the nicest books I've ever read. It was simply awesome. Beautifully written.
"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho is inspiring and his "Veronica Decides to Die" was amazing.
I've read 1000's of books over the years, but these I've mentioned here stand out for me. Tell me about your favorites. I'm always looking for more!

My fav's, oh goodness, where do I start? I've been a book worm my entire my life, I've read tons of books, so hard to decide my favorites!
lol.png

The ENTIRE Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling.
The Lady Grace Mystery Series By Patricia Finney. (Set in the 1500's)
The Hunger Games series By Suzanne Collins.
Witch and Wizard Series by James Patterson.
Percy Jackson and the Olympian's Series by Rick Riordan.
The Inkheart Series by Cornelia Funke.
The Witch and Wizard series by James Patterson.

And probably more, but those are just a few.
smile.png

Last edited:
Here are some of my 5 star books all read or reread this year (I use a site called goodreads to track my reading, ratings, etc.):

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
Before I Die by Jenny Downham
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Now I can get idea for new good books to read!!! Some of my favorites are:

Matthew Reiley- Jack West Series (action and adventure)
Suzanne Collins- Hunger games Trilogy (adventure and it really makes you think)
Susan Elizabeth Phillips- The Stars Team series (mushy lovey stuff)
Todd Burpo- Heaven is for Real (makes you think about heaven and getting there)
Rick Riordan- The Percy Jackson series (kid books but full of adventure)
Kathryn Stockett- The Help (so good!)

I don't reccomend:
Steig Larsson- The Millennium Trilogy aka The girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Couldn't make it through the fist 40 pages it was so horrible)

I don't know why but I am so excited about this thread and I can't think! If I can think of more that I really loved I'll post more
smile.png

ETA: I heard about a book today that really has my interest peaked and I'll let everyone know what I think about it.
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Last edited:
Right now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix by J.K. Rowling. One of my FAVORITE books of ALL TIME would be.... True Grit by Charles Portis
big_smile.png

Some of my all time favorite reads are:
Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Watership Down - Richard Adams
The Outlander Series - Diana Gabaldon

Recent favorite reads are:
Mark of the Lion series - Francine Rivers
The Help - Kathryn Stockett (haven't seen the movie yet though)
Elm Creek Quilts series - Jennifer Chiaverini

*The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh looks like a book that I would enjoy
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a feeling I'm going to get good books through this thread. I'm also blank when I'm trying to remember an author I enjoyed.
If you remember more let us know. I'll do the same.
Add to my list: The Woman Who Painted her Dreams by Isla Dewar (LOVE that book!) and Kingdom of Shadows by Barbara Erskine (a ghost story with a twist!)
I'll post more later when I get my mind in gear.

Quote:
I had a very hard time those first few pages as well. A friend of mine told me if I just suffer through the first 100 I would be rewarded- it WAS a great book after that! Turns out, you don't need to know all of those people, companies and job descriptions you are getting bogged down with
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom