Booker81's Meatie Thread - Four processed so far! (pics)

Here we are at 5 weeks (35 days).

54632_35days.jpg

I had an argument with the new waterer, so managed to flood a lot of their shavings, which they promptly pooed in and then laid in, so they're a bit filthy. They have new shavings and the waterer and I are now on good terms, so hopefully they'll clean up a bit and not look so nasty
smile.png
Thankfully, it's been in the 80s during the day here, and they were only in some damp bedding for the daylight hours. No one is showing any sign of chills or colds from that, so I'm happy.

Still sticking with the 20% crumble from the feed store, free choice, and added a second 5 gallon waterer. I found the first one scrounged in the back of the feed store - it's 5 gallon, but you cap the spout at the bottom and fill from the top. I was sick and tired of the dome topped ones you have to flip over to fill. I'm going through about 5 gallons of water for all 40 in a 24 hr period, give or take. These warmer days have mean more water (80s in day, 50s at night). No artificial heat/light now.

No signs of CHF yet, and the boys are getting mighty rowdy. I took some video of them - they are trying to fight, but it's so short lived, it's almost pathetic. They hop about like fleas, and then lay down to rest a bit, until someone else gets hopping, and then they barge back in.

I can't remember if I posted - I lost one as a chick a few days old (fail to thrive), and have lost two to piling, different nights when it got brutal cold (weather here is insane, we've had a couple hard frost/freezes a couple weeks ago). After those losses, I ended up putting a heater in the coop for them, which stopped the piling on cold nights. Owner error (I wasn't paying close attention to the weather forecast to compensate for them when it dropped hard and fast). I realize now that the more chickens, the higher the risk of piling death - when I did 12, it wasn't a issue, but 40 can get pretty insane when they chill. Something to remember with higher numbers of them.

I think Im going to do like you. Im going to leave them on medicated crumbles for another week, I think, then Ill switch to 20% Flock Raiser free choice. Ill move them to a stall in the barn and let them free range in the afternoon when Im home.

Some vidoes
smile.png

I can't remember if one can embed, so here you go
smile.png

I like this one where the two get in a staring match:

Pardon the kid in the background making odd noises
smile.png

We've been following along. I have two small batches of Cornish X, 6 in each. One batch is 4 weeks old today and one batch is 2 weeks old. I also have some red broilers at 4 weeks old and a bunch of red packing peanuts, along with a few red production pullets thrown in.
Here's a picture for size comparision.
98519_photo-4.jpg

I'm afraid you can't see any of the larger red broilers. They're actually doing pretty well. They were right up there with the Cornish X until this week when they fell behind. I'm fairly pleased with them. They may not work that well while I'm in an urban setting, depending on when they start crowing but I think they'll be a nice option for when I move to the country. I would be interested in crossing some of the red broiler pullets onto some good Cornish roosters, or other big heritage breeds.

Last edited:
I'm actually seriously considering doing more of these guys - upping my prices and doing a set building for them, and do a few batches a year. I really like raising them (the CX) because by the time they are really annoying and needing constant bedding, food and water, it's time to butcher them. Right now they are just funny to have about.

I've filled up my "selling" numbers - I wanted to sell about 30 of them to pay for the 10 I'll keep. The next batch I want to build something that is more heat controlled than a tractor, but get them out of the coop, or half in half out, which would mean adding on to the shed. I'm not sure. Some of the depends on DH - poor guy was born city, and moved country, but raising any sort of livestock is a bit startling for him. He's getting there - he doesn't have to do any care of the chickens (raising or slaughtering), but it's still a lifestyle change for him
smile.png
I don't try to force too much on him a time, but he was pretty shocked when he followed me in the coop to be greeted by 43 peeps.

While I'm thinking of it, I'm going to just send an email to Schlecht to let them know how pleased I am with these guys. When I open the door to them, they'll usually hanging out, but then the boys start their antics up and I have to say, they make me laugh. No one has hurt one another, they just try to jump around. Good exercise for the little beasties
smile.png

I'm doing Freedom Rangers. They are 4 weeks old. Here is a picture of them at almost 3 weeks
22834_freedomrangers.jpg

and here is a picture of my movable tractor
22834_myhoophouse.jpg
It has a 100 watt light in it, the picture was taken just after we put up the back and half side walls and added a top to to it, it is heavy now and we plan on adding wheels to it.
Michele

Heres mine at 10 days. Just put them outside in that stall this morning, they waaaaay outgrew their brooder. I will leave food and water for them 24/7. Once they get a bit bigger, Ill let them go out in the yard during the day when Im home. Ill wait long enough for them to realize this is their new home, so they'll head back at dark.

Their babysitter is an old splash rock rooster I have, that I havent had the heart to get rid of. He's why the temperments of the blue rocks I have is so very good.

They are just so fun to watch!

5004_chicks1.jpg

5004_chicks.jpg

5004_chics_roo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom