Bootcamp Letters- Fellow BYC member GoatWalker & friend

TouchO'Lass :

Quote:
Shelter Girl, I was a Navy Hospital Corpman (medical bubba) at PI: Please know that your Kate is going thru a course of training that NOone in the civilian world could possibly understand, and at PI? DAMMIT hot this time of year and those recruits are beyond exhausted at the end of a training day.

Know that she is thinking of you, but sometimes, writing home is just not in the their exhausting schedule. She may get letters from you on a routine basis, or she may get them as one big chunk. Even in Navy bootcamp, which is easier, I wasn't allowed to write home for the first 4 weeks of training...

IF YOU SEND COOKIES OR OTHER TREATS, MAKE SURE YOU SEND ENOUGH FOR 50 OR MORE RECRUITS!! Their packages are treated much the same as a prisoner's. Keep in mind that anything "special" brings her in to the spot light of her DI's. Do that, and her recruit life becomes even more difficult!! When in boot camp, you NEVER want to draw attention to yourself. If she asks, by all means send the treats.

Let her know how proud you are. Let her know how strong SHE is. Let her know how many people are out here rooting for her. DON'T bring her into the spotlight...

And I really hope you get to travel to PI for her graduation. It is one of the most moving ceremonies I have ever been to...

I wish you all the best. And I salute PVT Kate...oooo-RAH!

I HAD to save yours for a page by itself because I know she will be motivated. I have no plans to send her anything more than a plain letter typed up, because as it is I know she is having a rough time. My older brother became a United States Marine and when he came back, he was a TOTALLY different man.

As it was, Kate was a very strong and motivated girl. She was brought up tough and grew up tougher. She did sometimes have a quick tongue, but I am sure than when she comes home she will be well-rounded.

It is very difficult with her being practically like my sister, but I keep her picture on my dresser along with the very brief letter she has sent me. I know she will come home changed, but I accept that and am SO proud of her for this decision to make something great of herself and serve this country. She is going through some of the most grueling training, especially in the Summer heat. I don't expect any letters from her because I know she is busy, but she often writes to her mom so I keep in touch there. But she knows she is loved on this end after more than 6 years of friendship, and I have discussed with her parents on riding to PI with them in order to see her graduate. That means the wait will be worth it- a car ride home with her.
smile.png

Thank you for that long set of words for her, which will be included and sent out tomorrow. And thank you for keeping my head calm and relaxed.​

Back
Top Bottom