Booted Bantam rooster stops crowing

I just feed him so it feels mushy probably from the food
Withhold water and feed overnight, check crop before restoring feed and water.

How do I check for lice?
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Withhold water and feed overnight, check crop before restoring feed and water.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
I am going put him away from the food and water for about 3 hours. I looked at lice and mites I didn't see any on him and there were no red smears using the paper towel. I just gave him a bath just in case. He sleeps with (on top of) me at night and our neighbor's rooster's crows are hearable indoors if you listen closely. Maybe that has something to do with it? He hasn't crowed for a while and he seems normal, I don't know what could be wrong with him.

Back
Top Bottom