border collie pup and chickens

My father-in-laws border collie knows a few commands like beg and bark but she wasn't trained to heard. She does run up to the cows and bite their ankles, if someone goes and starts up a car during the winter she will run over to the camel pin and bite the camel out. Our first chicks we hand enclosed in a pin outside and she wouldn't get away from it. She LOVES to go get cows in and wouldn't even leave for that. We'd try to get her away from it but it wouldn't work. Finally they got big enough we moved them into a large open pin and would only let her come in around them with us. We wanted her to get use to them but not attack. We told her no and distracted her when she seemed to interested. Well finally a few weeks later my father-in-law checked on the birds and went to the barn. I went out to check them only an hour later. I got in the pin and there she was with something in her mouth. I yelled a few times not realizing what it was till she finally let go and the poor roo ran off. I yelled at her to get out and she had found a spot under the fence. I got my FIL and we went and checked for the chickens. All our ducks/geese were fine. We found about 5 out of 20 that wasn't touched. Then we started finding the others everywhere. There were even some on the outside of the fence in different spots. One side of the fence is 4' tall and the other sides are 8' tall. She killed 6 that we found (one died after finding from a serve neck wound) and we never found one. She did all of that only in an hour. My FIL, my husband, and me all yelled at her and gave her a spank (she's probably 5 yrs. old). Since she is a very skiddish acting dog we only had one other time that we know of that she almost got a hold of a month old chick that got through some wire but I seen her and yelled before she did anything. So be very careful with dogs around chickens. Since it is a puppy you have better luck at training it to not attack.

Oh my goodness- I'm from around your area. Did you get your border collie from the farm that is up the road across from Grace Cottage hospital? I thought I saw a sign at the end of that road saying Border Collie puppies.

I'm not a Border Collie expert, but I've looking into herding a bit before. It sounds like you have a pup with a very strong herding instinct and a drive to work. I think it would be an excellent thing to actually teach this pup to herd, the right way. To do this, I would find and work with a really good herding instructor - I bet the folks you got your dog from would be able to recommend someone to you.

That way, when you want the dog to herd for you, you will be know how to direct him. And once you have some control of him while he is officially in 'herding mode', you will also be more likely to be able to control him around your chickens.

Yes, thats where we got him...at Peaked Mountain Farm. His parents are the sheep herders there. I think we may take him back over there occassionally to hang with mom and dad. They're also keeping a brother so thats cool too. He's a great dog. Very smart and already house broke. I think in time he will be great with the chickens. Are you in Athens?

Peru
smile.png
. But I go through Townshend alot. I bet you buy your feed at Erskine's, right?

I have actually met a border collie from that farm. We went there for one of the dinners that they hold every once in a while. There was this really intelligent seeming border collie there that impressed the heck out of me. I think it was a boy. I tried to get his attention, but he only seemed interested in kids. I wonder if that was the dad?

I bet you would have so much fun with herding classes or a clinic. I got a name or two back when I was looking into it - I posted on a dog forum that has some people that are into herding on it. I'll try and refind the name and I'll give it to you if I find it.

Oh yes, you probably saw Juba, the father. He's a wonderful dog. We buy our feed at River Bend Feed Store here in Townshend. I love Peru. I sell soap, candles etc. at the Peru Fair.

I had a border collie who loved to ride along with me to town.. he would go nuts barking and trying to keep the traffic in check.. it was hilarious.. I finally trained him to not bark in the car. he would not have anything to do with the chickens, however..

Back
Top Bottom