oldhenlikesdogs

Hope Springs Eternal
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
We have plans to get a border collie sometimes next year. It's been quite a few years since I've owned one. I need a refresher course of what I'm in for, so please share your dogs and experiences with the breed.

I remember mine loving to run the goat fence while carrying her tennis ball. She'd than take a quick dip in the kiddie pool to cool off before getting back to work. She was wicked smart, and darn good looking. We took her everywhere. She was always busy outside, but easy going in the house.

So please share your border collies, and hopefully no one talks me out of one. :)

I'm editing this thread to add all herding breeds, especially Australian shepherds.

Last edited:
I have never owned one but I have been acquainted with several. Personally I would never have one, not because they are not great dogs, (they are) but because they are a lot more high energy than I am. They are very smart and very devoted to their people. They want to be with you and they really want your approval. They need some sort of job or activity so they can burn off energy. The ones I have known were very affectionate, loved to play, and loved to ride in the car.

IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG
Have a Yellow Border Collie. Molly the collie My molly has come a long way. She had some... issues when we got her at a year old Her owner was rehoming her because her busy schedule caused molly to be in a crate 12-16 hrs. Border collies ( most dogs) cant handle She was scared of everything that moved except us....was so hard to have people over for years she would bark nonstop but out of fear. Also had 1 yes of puppy energy stored extra. But with us at home sweet as can be Tons of energy but now she can let it out. Her anxiety has calmed so much over time and once it started to calm noticed how smart she really is! She's such a happy sweet girl I can't imagine now how boring my life was without a border collie

Thanks Cassie. I tend to keep active busy breeds. They exercise themselves as long as I'm walking around the yard with them. I currently have a boxer, and Australian shepherd, as well as two Boston French bulldog mixes, and a rat Chihuahua. You can definitely tell when they don't get enough daily exercise.

I lost my oldest Australian shepherd a few months ago. I used to play ball with her and miss that. Our border collie we had was never without her tennis ball so I'm hopeful I can find another that enjoys ball.

I'm gonna hopefully find the quieter one in the bunch, but am capable (hopefully) of providing what one will need.

I trained my first to herd cattle. I may train this one to herd my geese or goats. :)

View attachment 1983488 View attachment 1983489 Have a Yellow Border Collie. Molly the collie My molly has come a long way. She had some... issues when we got her at a year old Her owner was rehoming her because her busy schedule caused molly to be in a crate 12-16 hrs. Border collies ( most dogs) cant handle She was scared of everything that moved except us....was so hard to have people over for years she would bark nonstop but out of fear. Also had 1 yes of puppy energy stored extra. But with us at home sweet as can be Tons of energy but now she can let it out. Her anxiety has calmed so much over time and once it started to calm noticed how smart she really is! She's such a happy sweet girl I can't imagine now how boring my life was without a border collie
She's very good looking. :) I'm glad you stuck with her. She has such a sweet face. How old is she now?

I currently have what we believe to be a BC/aussie mix. (Picture's a few months old now. He's grown up a bit since this!)
hermes1.jpg

He came to us wildly under-socialized, under trained and terrified of everything. His previous owners had no idea what they were doing and kept him in an apartment all day every weekday and then gave him up when he started breaking things. He's also a puppy still, about 8-9 months now. He's gotten much better but is not over it so take my report with a grain of salt knowing that.

Surprisingly he's our noisiest dog, he whines a lot, barks at other dogs just walking past and needs a lot to occupy him. He chewed a literal hole in one of our walls in his first two weeks here. He wants to play fetch almost constantly. Even outdoors he will fetch, running hard, for literally hours before stopping for anything but water if you let him. He freaks out at other dogs and hides from people. He's broken a lot of toys, soft and hard. He chews through everything so much his canine teeth have worn down (he tries to chew on rocks sometimes that's how much he chews). He wants to chase chase chase the chickens (we're working on turning that into herding but it's slow) and the rabbits. He likes to climb on things more than any dog I've met and he panics when we take the other dogs out to pee without him and cries at the door even if someone else is inside with him. He eats SO MUCH, as much as dogs half again his size, and refuses to gain an ounce of fat.

On the other hand he crate trained very fast and despite his anxiety about being alone he doesn't cry much in his crate. He's deeply loving, wagging his nubby tail every time he sees us, aroo-ing with joy and bouncing around. He learned so many tricks so quickly despite having no training almost at all in the first four months. He bell trained in two days. He responds dramatically to body language compared to words. He learns from example very quickly. And at the end of the day he curls up pressed as close to you on the couch as possible, curled up as tightly as possible and sleeps.

He is a LOT of dog. But he's a really FUN dog. He loves to run and play and learn. And he's smart as a whip. You can teach him something new consistently in a day. He gets along really well with every dog he's ever met, even my grouchy arthritic 12 year old dog with guarding issues. He's a sweetheart and lovely once he knows you. He doesn't even lick, just climbs onto your lap and presses his head under your face for attention. He backs down immediately when told to. He's a Good Dog. (But aren't they all?)

So I would say that they're a joy to own but they are a HANDFUL and you had best be ready for it and have things for them to do! Or you will be playing fetch absent mindedly at your computer for four+ hours a day. :p

Sounds like you're up to having one! Busy, smart, needs gainful employment or will be crazy. Some do have hip dysplasia, difficult in a dog who's really not a couch potato.
Mary
I didn't know about the dysplasia. It's been a few years since I have read up on them. I was a bit surprised to see merle coloring in them has become popular lately. They used to be a fairly healthy breed here. I know they have become more popular since we had ours, which unfortunately seems to attract poor breeding in any breed. I'm hoping to find a good working farm dog line, but we will see.

Back
Top Bottom