Bored ducks?

Jayellebee

Songster
Mar 19, 2018
New York
4 days ago I got 10 Khaki Campbell ducks from my local feed store. I’m a first time duck mom! They’re about a week old now. I’m worried they’re getting bored in theirs brooder. Is there any kind of toys or treats I can give them during the day?
Also- they’re still very skittish of me. I try to handle them as much as possible. I know khaki Campbell’s are more of a “nervous” breed, but with daily handling, will they ever become more affectionate?
Any tips of tricks? Thanks!

Be sure to put out chick grit if you feed anything other than starter. not in with their feed but in a separate bowl close by.

Always make sure any kind of toy you put in with them can't be swallowed . a Mirror is great and you can let them play in the tub in warm water they just have to be patted dry and put under heat to finish drying start with warm water just up to tops of their legs then gradually add more water till they can float just always with supervision.

Cute avatar. Oh and most ducklings/ducks really don't care much for being held so we just have to be satisfied with them just letting us be around them, Not saying we never pick them up because there will be times we have to. But it isn't something they will ever like. Using dried meal worms as treats goes along way in making friends though. Or smooched thawed peas.

Be sure to put out chick grit if you feed anything other than starter. not in with their feed but in a separate bowl close by.

Always make sure any kind of toy you put in with them can't be swallowed . a Mirror is great and you can let them play in the tub in warm water they just have to be patted dry and put under heat to finish drying start with warm water just up to tops of their legs then gradually add more water till they can float just always with supervision.

Cute avatar. Oh and most ducklings/ducks really don't care much for being held so we just have to be satisfied with them just letting us be around them, Not saying we never pick them up because there will be times we have to. But it isn't something they will ever like. Using dried meal worms as treats goes along way in making friends though. Or smooched thawed peas.

Thank you! These are all great ideas I’m going to try:D

Has anyone got any ideas for older ducks? I have 2 with a fair sized pond and not much area around the pond but they can walk all the way round and there's plenty of room for both of them to sit in each corner plus their little house with food. Every morning I feed them a green treat (sprouted lentils, spinach etc) by throwing it in the pond but they seem bored. I don't know if that's even possible but hey any advice?

Has anyone got any ideas for older ducks? I have 2 with a fair sized pond and not much area around the pond but they can walk all the way round and there's plenty of room for both of them to sit in each corner plus their little house with food. Every morning I feed them a green treat (sprouted lentils, spinach etc) by throwing it in the pond but they seem bored. I don't know if that's even possible but hey any advice?
Stop feeding Spinach it blocks them from absorbing calcium...Leg issues?...

Back
Top Bottom