Bored/Not Curious Chicks

PearlaMae123

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2017
my 2 five week old EE chicks aren’t very curious. they don’t eat much of the treats and new things we put i their brooder. they mainly sleep. we have them on coccidiosis meds to be safe, but they don’t like exploring at all? what can i give them that they would enjoy?

Welcome to BYC. Is there a reason why they are not in their coop and run? At 5 weeks, they could be settled into their coop/run and busy doing chicken things. If you are concerned about them being cold, you could give them a wool hen or a huddle box. My chicks wean themselves off their MHP by the age of 4 - 5 weeks. They are brooded in an unheated coop with night time temps down to freezing.

Do you have them on medicated feed, or Corid?

How long have you had them on the Corid? Were they actually sick? Unless they have the need for it, I would not keep them on it. Forgive if I've misinterpreted your post. Many of us have found that it's much easier to integrate chicks into a flock than waiting until the birds are equal in size to the adults.

Chicks under 8 weeks don't need treats. Most younger birds are hesitant. Only having 2 is probably part of the problem. Chicks are braver in mobs, or when they have a mother chicken showing them the ropes. As they sexually mature at around 5 months they will grow more inquisitive, and be more willing to try new foods. Generally a mother hen would show them what's good to eat and where it's safe to go.

Welcome to BYC. Is there a reason why they are not in their coop and run? At 5 weeks, they could be settled into their coop/run and busy doing chicken things. If you are concerned about them being cold, you could give them a wool hen or a huddle box. My chicks wean themselves off their MHP by the age of 4 - 5 weeks. They are brooded in an unheated coop with night time temps down to freezing.
We didn't get more than 2 because we don't have enough coop space.
Do you have them on medicated feed, or Corid?
we have 3 other adult chickens and we are slowly introducing them. they are quite a bit smaller than the other chickens so we're worried about bullying etc. They don't use a heat light anymore. They have a huddle box. We have them on both medicated feed and corid.
Chicks under 8 weeks don't need treats. Most younger birds are hesitant. Only having 2 is probably part of the problem. Chicks are braver in mobs, or when they have a mother chicken showing them the ropes. As they sexually mature at around 5 months they will grow more inquisitive, and be more willing to try new foods. Generally a mother hen would show them what's good to eat and where it's safe to go.

How long have you had them on the Corid? Were they actually sick? Unless they have the need for it, I would not keep them on it. Forgive if I've misinterpreted your post. Many of us have found that it's much easier to integrate chicks into a flock than waiting until the birds are equal in size to the adults.
we have had them on corid for 2 days. we had speculations about coccidiosis. the chicks haven’t actually met the adults yet, but we are getting them used to the outside.

Back
Top Bottom