Bosc pears and chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kimslack, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I have recieved 3 crates of bosc pears that are overly ripe. How many of them can I feed my flock of 24 chickens? I've been cutting up the pears (about 4) with some of their mash.. They seem to love it but I don't want them to get sick. The pears will go bad in a few days. Should I just compost them or continue to feed the hens bosc pears and mash?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have about that many birds and I'll throw a dozen or so pears/apples/whatever in there at a time. They finish it all the same day. Chickens are designed to digest a huge range of things, and to tolerate a binge or two on one food. They won't get sick from it. And don't freak out about someone saying "don't feed them so much they don't eat their regular food, they NEED that layer food cause it has all the balanced nutrients"...trust me, if I can go a day or two eating nothing but fruit, so can a chicken. A few days of anything isn't going to hurt them.

3. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Okay.. They are following me around everywhere wanting more of the pears and mash combo. I'm telling my customers that they are getting pear flavored eggs...a gourmet treat.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, last August I was processing sooo many tomatos, and feeding the peels/scraps, I joked about getting tomato flavored eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by