Boss - An Honourable Death

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
Boss - My Adult Gander ( he raised and looked after all of my goslings ) didn't return home last night with the other Geese, he was a Toulouse and a true gentleman - I knew immediately that he was dead, he always looked after the other geese and was the one who returned them home whenever I called out Boss!

I searched for him until long after dark, calling his name and hoping beyond hope that maybe he was just injured and needed my help, I even tried to convince myself that he was in fact female and that he was sat on a nest of eggs somewhere......

This morning we started our search intensively for him, eventually my other half found a few feathers and some entrails - all that was left of my Boss.... I am heartbroken - it may have been a fox or a dog..... whatever it was, it won't live long if I find it.

The terrain was mostly water with a few trees and it was very waterlogged and muddy - it should have been safe for him and the others - Boss would always be the first to defend his flock and the territory - he was a hero and he was honourable to defend the lives of the others... I can't bring myself to call Boss at the moment when I want his flock to return, they are all staying close to home at the moment - if it were any of the others I wouldn't have been so upset but Boss was my first Goose and so gentle.....

I can't stop crying - a duck could swim in the residue of my tears as I write this.

I love you Boss - thank you for the pleasure of owning you albeit for a short amount of time!

Love Mum

How terribly sorry I am to hear of the loss of Boss. We are blessed when they are with us.

A poem in Boss' honor~

Lend Me A Bird

"I will lend to you for a while a bird" God said, for you to love him while he lives and mourn for him when he's dead.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years or maybe two or three, but will you til I call him back, take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you and should his stay be brief, you'll always have his memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise that he'll stay since all from earth return, but there are lessons taught below, I want this bird to learn.
I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true, and from the folds that crowded life's land I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love; not think the labor vain; nor hate me when I come to take my lovely bird again?
I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, thy will be done, for all the joys this bird will bring, the risk of grief we'll run."
Will you shelter him with tenderness? Will you love him while you may? And for the happiness you will know, forever grateful stay?
But should I call him back much sooner than you've planned; please brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.
If by your love you've managed my wishes to achieve, in memory of him you've loved; be thankful; do not grieve.
Cherish every moment of your feathered charge, he filled your home with song of joy for time he was alive.
Let not him passing take from you those memories to enjoy "I will lend to you a Bird" God said and teach you all you have to do.
And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too - ~Author Unknown~

Last edited:
hugs.gif
So sorry for your loss of Boss

ChickenSioux -

Thank you so much for the poem

The words have helped me and my other half - we are devastated but do understand that nothing is forever, Boss was ( and is ) so very special to us - he taught us a lot, was a wonderful guardian for the goslings and he enhanced our lives in a way that gave us an understanding and great pleasure in the ownership ( guardianship ) of a very special being.... we will never forget how he gave so much without asking for any return. Boss was always fed by hand from me at night - the others would eat their maize ( corn) from their trough but he would always have a cuddle when he was eating by my side.

Life will never be the same without Boss - he has returned to where he came from... hopefully his death was sudden - THAT is what bothers me.... I will not rest until his predator is dead - justice will be mine hopefully in time - sad but I cannot rest whilst my other geese and ducks are at imminent risk.

Thanks again for the poem - I will sleep tonight with the words on my mind - I can't help Boss now but maybe with wisdom I can help his chargelings

You are very welcome Suzie. Most predators dispatch their prey very quickly. I have lost a few myself and it is very devastating. I love my geese so much, I do understand how you feel. Take care.

Suzie, I'm so very sorry. Sounds like he was one awesome bird. Sending good thoughts and warm hugs your way.

Joni

Back
Top Bottom