Bossy Chickens!

. We have lots and lots of critters and grass since we live out in the country, in Central Texas and have had a TON of rain lately.

Anywhere near Brady? We have a place 1/2 way between Brady and Brownwood - when we aren't up here near Oklahoma. And, yes, WAY too much rain already.

Anywhere near Brady? We have a place 1/2 way between Brady and Brownwood - when we aren't up here near Oklahoma. And, yes, WAY too much rain already.
We are about 3 hours east of Brady. And yes, so very much rain! Thankfully we have not had any flooding on our property, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. The ground, lakes and creeks are full! Hopefully ya'll have been safe too!

Oh, yes they forage too! Just very vocal when they want more feed. They are pretty health looking but not over weight, I don't think. How would I be able to tell? They all look great to me! I was keeping the feeder full, all of the time, until my husband suggested that I not feed them quite so much to allow them to forage more. He mostly acts likes like he knows what he is talking about but I doubt he did any research on the subject. In any case. We get 5 eggs per day from 5 chickens pretty consistently.
My feeder always has food in it and they are either in their large pasture or sometimes free-ranging through the day. They eat from the feeder mostly first thing in the morning and just before they go up to their roost at night. Sometimes they do throughout the day but not much. My red hens are really bossy too... but not so much about food as much as "open the door (or gate)!" - they HATE being locked in, even in their 40'x75' "pasture" (the poor things ;)) The younger black ones don't really care.

I would stick with giving them free choice. They are being good to you, giving you an egg a day each. If they are wasting food, and he is concerned about that, I would highly recommend a hanging feeder... mine were terrible about throwing it all over the ground until I got one.

Back
Top Bottom