Both Broodies killed, Eggs in bator - Dont know due date **ADVICE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well Yesterday my two broody ducks were killed. One was even dragged off her nest while protecting her eggs.

I dont know when they are due, just that it is this week or next.

Will they be ok if I leave them in the turner of can I go ahead and put them out of it? If I turn them by hand how many times a day would I need to turn them?

Any and all help would be appriciated! My bator skills are horrid and i havent been hable to hatch anything yet.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Sorry for your losses.....Since ducks are so lengthy in incubation....I'd go ahead and try to save the little babies lives.....Do you have an idea roughly how long they were nesting.....

You could bring the eggs in, put them in your incubator for warmth and candle for development...That might give and approximation and then based on that go for the number of days before stopping turning. With the kind of rain we've been having they will probably have a lot of humidity.

With ducks you would need to do a spray type of method as described I believe by Miss Prissy...

I would try,,, you certainly could have a chance.

Let me know if I can help you more.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I spritz my eggs every other day and try to candle every three days that way the eggs can get some air as well. When i candled this morning most were almost done I think. Only the air cell or a little mroe was clear while the eggs was black on the inside ( duckling) . I have two that looked pretty close to hatching out of the turner already.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Oh I am so sorry. Hope you can hatch and save their babies.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    If they are almost full (eggs) stop the turning of them (as best as I can suggest from your post) and then just keep that humidity up...I'm praying for you for some miracle hatches!

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Good luck, GoatWalker! No advice--just hoping it turns out well.

7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    So sorry about the mommas!!! Good luck with the babies!!![​IMG]

8. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I just lost a broody hen that was also dragged off of her nest defending her eggs. I tried to hatch the eggs, but I think it was too late for mine. It was very cold outside, the eggs were unattended for a long time and I still had to set up the bator for them, by the time I got the temp regulated it had been around 18 hours that these eggs had been cold. I also had some temp spikes early on with the bator since I was in such a hurry to get the eggs in.

I hope you have better luck than I did. I don't know anything abouat duck eggs, but I'm hoping you have a good outcome! Please let us know how they do! Good luck! [​IMG]

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Do you know what killed your ducks? I am sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Goat-walker I'm so sorry about your ducks, I so want some duckies I hope all your babies make it. I will send you some good hatching vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~did you get them.

Edit part. Removal of ? aske by Max.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by