Both chicken and ducks not laying; quit out of nowhere

1chicken4ducks

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
I have already read the articles about why egg laying slows down or stops. However, we didn't do anything different and our chicken stopped laying out of nowhere. She is under 6 months old and her laying was fairly sporadic at first, she began when she was supposed to, then she regulated out. About a month and a half, two months ago she stopped laying out of nowhere. Our duck also stopped laying about three weeks ago. Neither have laid a single egg between them and now. It is barely winter here and it got cold fast so it makes sense that the duck would quit, almost as though it is seasonal. But at the time, the temperatures hadn't dropped as rapidly or as low. But the chicken, what gives?

i don't have an answer, but can tell you that have a 2 year old buff orpington that quit laying about 3 months ago...for no apparent reason either. at first i thought she might be egg bound but she wasn't. then about a week ago i caught her laying again and she has been pretty regular since.

i would be interested to see what others have to say about this.

Can you tell if they're egg bound? It seems like if she were she would not be the same, in pain, hurt?? Shes the same chicken just minus eggs. She doesnt appear to be bloated or walking funny or eating any less. Its odd.

welcome-byc.gif

Are they free ranged? If so, confine them for a few days and see what you get.

What breed chicken? Some breeds just aren't as good of a layer.

Back
Top Bottom