Bottle feeding vs dam raising goats.

Please don't make blanket statements. I have raised plenty of goat kids on milk replacer. Not a single one had a problem. I cannot be the only person who can feed milk replacer to goats successfully. I highly doubt companies would make a product designed to kill. It is all in the manner of how it is fed.

The trouble people have with milk replacers, in my opinion, has more to do with the metabolism of the individual kid than anything else. No matter how carefully you read and follow the directions, and how good a replacer you have, you are going to find some kids that just can't digest it.

Just a note, here. Kids, like babies, vary a lot. I once had a kid that could tolerate cow's milk just fine but was deathly allergic to goat milk. She died of anaphylactic shock when someone fed her goat milk by mistake. Go figure.

The trouble people have with milk replacers, in my opinion, has more to do with the metabolism of the individual kid than anything else. No matter how carefully you read and follow the directions, and how good a replacer you have, you are going to find some kids that just can't digest it.

Just a note, here. Kids, like babies, vary a lot. I once had a kid that could tolerate cow's milk just fine but was deathly allergic to goat milk. She died of anaphylactic shock when someone fed her goat milk by mistake. Go figure.
I really have never had a problem feeding milk replacer to goat kid. I haven't raised hundreds, but around 20 or so. It works for me, and it's the only way I will raise kids, but I respect your experiences.

Before goat kids I raised many calves on replacer as well, so maybe my experiences feeding them has helped me. Temperatures have to be correct, mixing ratio, and amounts must be consistent. That's all I have say about it.

It probably is easier to feed cows milk for most people and the risk of messing up is probably smaller, so I understand why it's probably best for most people.

For serious ooohs and ahhhs...this little doe will be dam raised. 20170417_111334(3).jpg

Please don't make blanket statements. I have raised plenty of goat kids on milk replacer. Not a single one had a problem. I cannot be the only person who can feed milk replacer to goats successfully. I highly doubt companies would make a product designed to kill. It is all in the manner of how it is fed.

No, it's not designed to kill, just until very recently, it was not designed for goats!! It is only in the last decade that goats have begun to become commercially viable enough for companies to formulate things especially for them. Even now, most medications are off-label for use in goats.
I'm glad you've had a good experience, but all that means is that you have good, really-truly-made-for-goats, milk-based replacer available. Not everyone does.

If something says "sheep and goat", it is made for sheep, not goats. Some goats can squeak by on it, but many can't.
If it is any kind of general replacer, odds are good goats can't have it. There is a really, really good reason that goat's milk used to be known as food for "invalids" and is to this day sought out for orphans of all types - it is the easiest to digest milk around. When something evolved to digest the easiest-to-digest thing out there, it stands to reason that that will be a bit hard to replace.

Luckily, homogenized whole milk from the store not only does the trick, but it's a pretty safe bet that anyone can get it very easily, so that's the go-to for raising baby goats.
Personally, I have found that my bottle raised babies are all bigger, stronger and healthier than those I let their dams raise. I think it's because no matter what, they are getting X amount every day - there's no moody mommy, funky weather or bullying sibling that will change that. It's also ridiculously easy to give them any meds or supplements on schedule.

Yes it is best you leave them with mom to get the colostrum. If you want to take them away you need to either buy replacement colostrum or milk mom and feed them that way. Depending on what kind of goats you have the replacement goat feed may not be the best. I use whole milk because my Pygmys can't digest the milk replacer.

Just a few things to think about in planning your feeding process...

Since I know that I have a healthy herd, my first choice is to milk mama and feed fresh goat milk (pasteurize if there is a concern about transmitting CAE), that way they do get milk laced with colostrum. If milking is not an option, make sure the kids get colostrum. I often help neighboring farms by keeping a supply of frozen pasturized milk rich in colostrum...it is like gold.

For a few days, you could put mama on the milkstand and hold her to let the baby nurse. It is hard to do because you do not want a mad mama to kick the kid! Sometimes it takes 2 people to hold her, but sometimes might be impossible. Can't overly stress the importance of training goats to the milkstand from a young age for emergency situations/care.

When mama's milk isn't possible, kids will do fine on store bought colostrum and just plain whole cows milk. If you want to mix up a formula to a gallon of milk add 1 cup of buttermilk (as a probiotic), 2 Tablespoons of Karo syrup (for soft poop), and 1/2 of a large can of evaporated milk (for added calories and nutrients). I think the original formulation for kids may have originally come from Fiasco Farm's website? Watch those babies empty their bottles and grow!

Sorry, I am not familiar with the TSC product. Someone else may chime in to help you with decision making.

Thanks for the recipe
mix up a formula to a gallon of milk add 1 cup of buttermilk (as a probiotic), 2 Tablespoons of Karo syrup (for soft poop), and 1/2 of a large can of evaporated milk (for added calories and nutrients).
Wouldn't buying goat milk be better?
There are a couple of goat farms close to me and a lot of milking goats for sale on Craig's list

Yes, goat's milk is best. Most people in our area say they can't afford it. Goat milk is scarce around here...and expensive. Don't know how much your local milk sells for, but be sure it is pasteurized.

Back
Top Bottom