Bottom of the pecking order help

gigglssmls

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
I have a small barred rock hen who is not only OVER bred by my rooster Elvis but is also at the bottom of the pecking order. EVERY hen picks on her and attacks her except one. She had been injured from the over mating of the Rooster and his spurs so badly that both her left and right sides had to medicated every day as I could see her flesh and bones. Since then we have cut down Elvis' spurs but he STILL managed to rip them open after they healed TWICE! She has become afraid of all of the hens except one and runs from the Roo as fast as she can. It is breaking my heart. Any suggestions on how to mix up the pecking order or on how to protect her from injury? I love them so and any suggestions will be appreciated. God Bless

I usually do not recommend this but I would re-home her. She needs more time for her wounds to heal and the rooster sounds pretty rough on her.

It sounds like a rough situation for your girl. I would suggest rehoming her. It doesn't sound like a good situation for her. I wish you the very best of luck.

What about a separate coop just for her and her friend. I know that's not always easy but maybe worth a thought.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your input..... the thought of re-homing her breaks my heart as I have become so very attached to her. She is my cuddle chicken that actually does a strange put and closes her eyes when I hold her and pet her while I sing to her. I had read somewhere that if you take the bully and put her ins a separate small cage where the chicken can see her and she can see them for about a week that the pecking order will realign a bit.

Looks like I am going to have to really think about my options and make a decision soon for he sake. My poor pretty little Barred Rock Diamond. So timid and sweet :/

God Bless
Michelle

For a last ditched effort I would put a cloth saddle on her to protect her from the rooster and isolate a few bossy hens on a "vacation" in a plastic dog crate at a relatives house for a week. When they return back mix up stuff in your coop to add distraction (straw bales, milk crates, old picture, cabbage ball).

Also, when I was torn because my favourite hen was getting bullied I just got rid of the really mean ones and everyone was much happier. My only regret was I should have done it sooner. :)

Back
Top Bottom