Bought 12 quail 2 weeks ago and egg production has almost came to a stop

BryanS

Hatching
Aug 26, 2015
Please help,

On Thurs, August 20th I bought 12 (11 hens, 1 rooster). At first was getting about 6-8 eggs a day. Co-worker I bought them from said he was getting 9-11 a day. after a few day the production has really dropped. 1-3 a day, even a couple days where I did not get any. I do have 2 dogs that roam the yard but aren't interested in them.

I make sure they have fresh water a couple times a day. Housing is 12 sqft. Using the same feed as previous owner. As a treat they will get mealworms every couple days. Also have a dust bath with play sand.

I cant think of anything I'm doing wrong. Will be adding a solar rope light tonight since where I am we are down to about we are down to about 13hrs of daylight.

Any ideas what happening? Is this because of the move (different surroundings). Their previous hutch they could not see out unless they flew up (flight training). New one is open on the bottom and in the front. there is also an attached box on the side to get out of the elements.

When chickens are moved to a new environment, they generally stop laying for a bit. No experience with quail, but my gut says that they will react in the same fashion. Birds do not like change. They may even molt prior to resuming laying.

I have started to see some shed feathers, is that molting? Sorry I am new to this and just trying to figure everything out and keep them safe at the same time.

It may very well be the beginning of a molt - it's that time of year. Are you feeding the same feed that the previous owner used?

Yes,

It's the game bird feed made by "Country Feeds". Not sure what the protein level is though, but it seemed to work great with him. Plus adding mealworms should add more protein.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are very glad you decided to join us!

welcome-byc.gif

I wondered the same thing Sourland suggested:
When chickens are moved to a new environment, they generally stop laying for a bit. No experience with quail, but my gut says that they will react in the same fashion. Birds do not like change. They may even molt prior to resuming laying.
Hopefully once they have adjusted to their new surroundings and finish molting, you will be getting more eggs again. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom