bought 3, day old rired chicks from feed store, they dont want light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueseal, Jul 3, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    brought them home put them in with momma hen and her 3, 1week old chicks didnt work she wouldnt accept them. so i put them in the brooder by themselves. i have a 100 watt white bulb on them its about 6 inches from there feet and the go away from the light in a corner huddled . why are they doing that i thought they needed the light at this age. i tryed a 60 watt bulb too. and they do the same thing. any suggestions.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do you have a thermometer in with them?

They need 95 degrees the first week, 90 the second, 85 degrees the third week etc... until they are fully feathered.

I use a red heat lamp.

A 100 watt bulb and a 60 watt usually won't be warm enough and they also don't like white light..

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What's the temp in the brooder? They do still need a temp controlled enviorment, but if it's really warm where you have the brooder set up at they may not need much extra heat during the daytime. I think it's supposed to be around 90-95 for chicks that age, but I'm not positive since I never use a thermometer, just adjust the light till the chicks seem comfortable.

4. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:no thermometer i shut the light off and they stop crowding and go eat and run around. i have allways used a regular white bulb and had no problems. maybe the light is too low its probably 50 in the coop today so adding the 100 watts might be too hot for them i will see how they act tonight and maybe have to raise the light its about 6inches from the pine bedding should have grabbed a cheap thermometer at the store. i know its suppose to be 90 95 and 5 degrees minus each week. just thought it to be odd they are shying from it.

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    How warm is it there today? I had to shut my heat lamp off by mid morning because it was so warm in the barn (central Maine by Augusta) today. It's supposed to be even warmer the next 2 days, so i switched to a white 60 watt when I left for work around 1400 hrs. I lowered the light, so they are getting some heat, just not a lot. They have a place to go to get away from most of the heat from the lamp, which is where they were. I don't get home until 2330, so I felt I needed to give them some sort of back up heat, the red heat lamp was just way to hot for them today, even hung as far up as I could.

Maybe it's warm enough for them without the lamp.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    How warm is it there? They may not need a heat lamp at all. Regular sunlight will do the trick if it's warm outside.

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    It has been so hot here I don't use the heat lamp at all for them except at night.
    If they are avoiding light then let them let you know when they are cold - they will huddle up
    Caroline

8. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    went out to check on them at 830 tonight and they were huddling. so i snapped the 100 watt bulb on and the were stirring around after a min or so . i had a timer but went to hook it up and noe it dont work it was a walmart 10 dollar job bought last year sat out in coop collected dust and now it dont work bummer. oh well i will check them in the am. it was probably 60s here today. in warren maine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by