Bought 8, 3 day old chicks yesterday - one with bad foot...help!

cluckcluck10

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
Georgetown, Colorado
I bought chicks yesterday from a farm about an hour and a half from where I live - very clean, very nice place and it was very obvious the owner had much experience. We bought 8 chicks and this afternoon I noticed one chick's toes on one of its feet are pointing to the side and curled under. I e-mailed the guy I bought them from and he was very accomodating - offering a replacement. My only issue is the drive to the farm and that I prob won't be able to get there until this weekend because it is so far away. What will happen if I don't replace the chick and just keep it? Will the chick die from something like this? What do I need to do moving forward?
Thanks,
Lauren

welcome-byc.gif
If the curled toes do not impede the chick's movements and it is able to walk, eat, and drink it can live a basically normal life with such a problem.

Get some vitamins, either chick vitamins for the water, or polyvisol baby vitamins and give 1-2 dropsdaily by mouth or on food. Toe issues are usually vitamin related or genetic. Google Poultrypedia podiatry and click on the link for good advice on foot and leg issues

I had this EXACT same problem with a quail chick. What kind of bedding are you using? If you have newspaper you should change it to card board or something the chicks can grip. I changed mine over to pine shavings about three days after I took it out of the incubator and now, two weeks later, it walks fine. Although I do admit worrying about it a lot and I took it out sometimes to try and gently make it perch on my finger. I'm not sure if me doing that helped but the quail is walking fine today.

Back
Top Bottom