Bought a new adult rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Silver Sebright, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Silver Sebright

Silver Sebright Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    Florida
    What do I do if I bought a adult rooster for $15 from the feed store? Do I just put him with the hens at night or should I keep him in a separate pen where the hens can see him for a few days before putting them together?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You should actually quarantine him first to make sure he's not sick, though he still could be carrying diseases your flock isn't immune to.

Generally it's best to pen a new bird next to the flock for a while so they become familiar with each other through a fence before trying to let them mingle.

3. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I vote for the 2nd option. I tried the first and tho the younger girls liked him, the eldest hens tried to kill him.

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I'd isolate him for a few weeks to see if he picked up something en route or at the feed store (people have lost entire flocks on here to a lack of proper isolation procedures.)

If your setup doesn't allow for that, you're taking a bit of a gamble--not a huge one, as I've never brought home a bird that noticeably infected my flock, except for that first batch of chicks that had Marek's, but it's still not exactly safe.

After that, people generally have two ways of adding, both of which you just suggested. I usually go with the "add at night" but my flock's really pretty laid back and has a huge coop and run when they're not free-ranging. If yours has a lot of POL (hormonal point of lay) hens or a lot of older "boss" hens, you'll probably want to do the "look through the fence" option.

Good luck.

EDT: x2, oldhenlikesdogs. Didn't see you there.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are all the birds?
    How many birds do you have and are they all females?

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If you didn't quarantine, you didn't. For most back yard people and even some hobby farming quarantine is not a real possibility. Separated by wire is not quarantine.

There is quite a difference between 4-5 months, and a year old rooster. If he is a year old, put him in with the girls. They will all be in love by morning. If he is immature, it might help to keep him visible but separated.

I have added roosters several times over the years, and never had a problem.

bobbi-j and SueT like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: