1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought a new incubator. Now that i did that NOW I have questions lolol

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guineafowlguy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I used to have cheap old styrofoam incubators and i haven't had very good success with those.

The humidity was not high enough and the chicks would get stuck to their shells with full water.

So I bought an Ova Easy 190 with humidity pump :D

I was exited and now that im getting it i want to hatch everything under the sun with it :D

I was wondering if it would be able to hatch emu and ostrich eggs. I looked all over the internet and found no trays and no information on it.

What would you guys suggest. GQF sold a tray that would hach emu and ostrich so I was wondering if i could simply put that tray in my ova easy.

Thanks

Also My power goes out all the time were i am. How do I add a layer of protection for the incubator so i dont lose my chicks?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im not sure but my guess is you could hatch them , you might need to buy a hatching tray and just hand turn but I have never had that bator or any cabnet one so I dont know . I do know that I am soooooooooo jelous. I hope you have lots of fun and keep us posted I want lots of pictures. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Ostrich eggs? Go big or go home! LOL I haven't hatched them myself, but I've seen enough ostriches hatching eggs. They pretty much do the same as chickens do, except the males and females take turns to sit on the nest [​IMG]. The females sit during the day when they blend in easier with their grey colour and the black males sit at night when they blend in easier with their darker feathers. Interesting, isn't it?

Here's some info on hatching ostrich eggs:

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/guideost.html

Have fun!

4. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Sadly it looks like a waited too long to do emu's.

Apparently they lay in November-January.

I would grab the emu eggs I can now but I want to hatch the chicken eggs that I was going to get tomorrow and i dint think you can hatch chicks and emus at the same time.

So I'm going to have to settle for White Leghorns, Americana, Rohde Island reds, Black Orpington, Silver Links, Bard Rocks, and a bunch of others i cant remember the name of. :D

But now im exited cause i can run my incubator year around now. lol

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by