Bought as a RIR. I am SURE he was wrong!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magicpigeon, Mar 13, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Songster

Oct 9, 2010
    I got this hen at a local market as a RIR. She's long gone now, so I don't have any more pics then these. She had white earlobes, laid whitish, almost pink eggs, had white skin, some black in the wings and tail and a single comb. She was about the size of a leghorn or thereabouts, and I'm not sure if this helps but quite noisy. She was braver than what I would say is a normal chicken and was never broody.

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am guessing she is a mutt, but hoping not as I don't currently have such a beautiful red chicken and am still searching for one. [​IMG] What kind of breeds could be crossed to produce this hen? I know RIR lay brown eggs and have large combs.....

ETA: I forgot, the eggs were small and only slightly larger than a silkie egg. This could have been due to diet though. She was still on grower, not layer, and mainly free ranged and ate what she could find. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know what she is, but didn't you post about her before? What was the concensus then?

3. wahigh

wahigh In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Florence
    She has the black tail feathers so not a red sex-link. But if she is from a hatchery more than likley a production red. Should lay you lots of big brown eggs.

4. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    I have a hen like this, red with black in her tail and I got her from Anstey hatchery in Saskatoon, SK. She is a Paymaster Red Sussex. She lays a light brown pinky egg and is the meanest hen in the flock. She a duel purpose bird and comes from the mating of Rhode Island Red cockerel and a Columbian Rock pullet.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Songster

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Yes, actually [​IMG] Nothing then though, we only came up with production red, RIR, or New Hampshire....

6. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Songster

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Whoa! Coloring wise, she looks just like my girl Poppy, except Poppy has EE cheeks [​IMG]
    These aren't the best pictures, but Poppy even has the black in her tail!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Crowing

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    production red

8. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Looks like a RIR, but the legs look white, so maybe a RIR mix?

9. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

She looks like the Production Red I had.

10. Luvroos

Luvroos Songster

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I have 3 of these, they're production reds, red sex links or simply mixes and supposed to be from a NHR and an RIR. They make beautiful pets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: