Bought at auction can someone tell me what he is?

So, this may seem like a silly question... but is an easter egg rooster the same thing as an Americana or Araucana or a different breed all together?

So, this may seem like a silly question... but is an easter egg rooster the same thing as an Americana or Araucana or a different breed all together?
No. Think of it like this. My dog is a Yellow Lab. If she had puppies with the German Shepherd next door, the pups would be mixed breeds.
That's how Easter Eggers are. They may have purebred parents of Ameraucana or Auracana, (the lab or shepherd), but the parents bred with another breed or color and their babies are mixed. I think most EE's are from a long line of mixes, (actually, I think the Ameraucanas were bred from ee's originally), but that's the end result.

if he has a 'pea' comb he is much more likely to sire hens that have green or green/blue eggs.

Is there any way i could tell how old he is? He has nice tail feathers and has spurs. I just want a generalized guess. He is larger that my thirteen hens (buff orpingtons, barred rocks, isa browns, and rhode island reds) who are nine months old. Also, i introduced him to the flock already, and all my girls are being mean to him, I know that is normal pecking order, but does anyone know how to make it easier for him? From what i can tell he is getting beat quite badly. He runs from "challenges"

His color does resemble a faverolle, but what do I know.
He probably is an EE

If he's that submissive to the hens, he's probably a this spring hatch. I'd say at least six months, but less than a year.
My hens are all spring hatch as well, which is about nine months ago. He has spurs that are easily a half inch long. I am thinking it will just take time for him because it is basically thirteen on one.

He couldn't be mixed with a faverolle like i previously thought. having five toes is a dominate gene, and he only has four. He definitely is mixed with something.

Back
Top Bottom