Bought my bator just now!

Letisha, I have a friend that has a contact who sells her eggs right out of her breeder nests for $1.50 a dozen I am hoping to pick up some EEs from her. If not I intend to order Red Stars and EE in the spring.

I currently have 26 hens 13 are of laying and the other 13 are McMurry Hatchery's New Hamphsire Reds that are almost 5 months old (these I plan to breed with a New Hampshire roo, this was the main reason for the purchace of an incubator).

Did you upgrade the auction to include the fan? Mine will be in on friday.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your bator!
wee.gif
I don't kow how much you know about incubating and please don't think that I know more than you since I am waiting to get my incubator as a Christmas present this year, but if I could offer a little advice I would like to. Before you spend a good amount of money on expensive hatching eggs that have to be shipped to you, practice on your own eggs if you have a rooster or see if you can find some local inexpensive hatching eggs to try on first. I have read many threads on how hard it is to get shipped eggs to hatch since they get pretty jumbled in the mail and if you add working out how your bator works on top of that it could add up to zero hatching. I am sure that there will be auctions for just the eggs you want in the coming months and you will feel more comfortable with your bator. Just my two cents and have fun hatching some eggs!! I am so excited to get mine! By the time Christmas rolls around you will have hatched two or three times!!
big_smile.png

Jessiewoodard57 I did get the fan, digital themometer, auto turner, and the candler. Good luck with hatching. I know you must be excited.
dsqard I have had the talk with my silkies and they still have not given me an egg. (They are still a bit young but I expect some soon). I was thinking before bed last night that maybe I should try a dozen guinea eggs first just to get the hang of it. I would be devastated if I had showgirls in there and messed them up due to lack of experience. I should have a showgirl or 2 here soon as it cools off some but plan to like you said hatch some of the less expensive eggs first. I went back and forth about the bator for a few months I have read so much about problems in the hatched chicks due to spikes in temp low humidity and so on. I have silkies not sure why I even need a bator other than I just wanted one. I am so excited to get it. I was asking for it for Christmas just like you but was trading the bator for the showgirls so knew would not be getting one till next year. But the money was just sitting there and opps I clicked the buy now button.
hu.gif
I will diffinitely have to tell my hubby my Mom got it for me for Christmas. He has yet to find the truth about the Xbox360 4 years ago. To this day he thinks my sister bought it for me.
hide.gif
Thank goodness the auction on the eggs I wanted ended before I had the bator, I am not sure experience or not I could have let them go if I already had it. Thank for helping me remember about the problems with hatching them myself.

Quote:
i have white silkies, pure bred light brahmas, and a dozen or so sex link, rocks, and one turken. i see were both in mid tenn if your interested and close enough to make the drive to me, i will make you a deal on the silkie eggs, and give you some test eggs on a breeding project i am wroking on. let me know.

Jessie 2 more days for you 5 for me let me know what you think when you get it.
I ordered eggs to be shipped 10/11, I know I said I would get cheap eggs first but I did not want ugly chickens running around here (assuming I actually hatch them), and cost wise it would be cheaper to get the eggs I want than to be stuck feeding chickens I did not want for maybe 6 years.

Congrats!

Before you know it, you'll be saying, "Where did all of these chickens come from????? I need to build a bigger pen!"

I am already building another pen! So in April I started out with my Silkies, 25 precious new babies. In 6 mths it went from no coops to 3 coops, an incubator and shipping birds from across the country. Yeah I just jumped right on in didn't I. No more after I get the showgirls shipped in. At least till next year.
wink.png
Loving every second of it.

Back
Top Bottom