bought the 18 by 26 alum commercial bake pans for the poo area...wondering what to use on top of

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
bought the big 18 by 26 comm baking pans from Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polar-Ware-...276623?hash=item3f3c84d00f:g:hDcAAOSw-jhUCg11

the roost is above. Hubby framed roost to accept three of those pans. well originally he framed for those black boot trays. but so lite weight by themselves. I plan on puting pdz in them. But for now using the Peak brand boot trays from TSC..$4.99 I paid each..

http://peak-shoe-care.myshopify.com/products/peak-boot-tray

to catch the poo.. but the boot trays are curvy. so thought about plastic trays from Ebay o line the alum ones..The 18 by 26 are stackable.
would post pic for yall to see but its late and dark outside.

I'm a bit unsure of your question, what does "wondering what to use on top of" mean?
Are you asking what to use in the pans to catch the poop?
If that is the case, there are going to be several answers. If you are wanting to scoop/sift you could use pdz or sand or a mixture of both. If you want to scrape, you could leave them as is, take them out daily and scrape them off with a putty knife or something similar. I'm sure there are other options. It really depends on how you want to manage your poop and how you want to clean your coop.

Personally, I use pdz mixed with sand and scoop every day.

I will use pdz in the alum trays that stay there. presently using tose TSC boot trays on top of those.. to catch the poo.. but theblack plastic trays are only 14 inche wide and curvy. Those we remove everyday and scrape and rinse and scrub off.... but since the 14 inch trays are wavey and not as wide as the base trays of aluminum.. which are 18 inches wide lots going on there...and harder to clean...
I am looking at Ebay to find hard plastic trays same size as the alum trays to sit inside. and remove daily.
In other words the alum bake pans are the "floor" instead of wood of the poo board... There is just a wood "frame" to hold or set the alum trays...in
several plastic ones on Ebay but dont know if they are sturdy enough plus some cost more than the alum baking pans.... same 18 by 26 sized.
just wish I could see and feel them to see if they are sturdy etc enough....some listed as meat trays etc such as, way to expensive each.... I need 3 those are more than the alum pans...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-37289-...514797?hash=item1c5eea8fad:g:BHYAAOSwU~FWDTop
or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-x-26-Inc...053329?hash=item54268d6451:g:NPkAAOSwT5tWPGmA

or heck $10 just for shipping....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winco-FFT-1...997368?hash=item4d34a960b8:g:0tUAAOSwyQtVlF-2

Last edited:
I'd keep the trays for baking because they are not flexible. Also, I would think that's a lot of money when it comes to the task of collecting poop. I mean, the poop tray is neither the highlight of the coop, nor trying to highlight the poop. My funny mind thinks that $1 paintings at a garage sale could be used, and the poop would be a commentary on the picture's content, why on Earth do I think of these things ?

The aluminum trays will last a while, but I think something flexible would be better for dislodging the manure. Plastic of some kind would allow the dried blobs to jump right off when flexed.

Premium trays that are similar to those but more functional would be custom made for the job (pun). If you have tinsnips, then cut panels from the side of a broken clothes dryer. The panels will last a long time, and you can flex them a bit to stop things that are dried up from sticking to them while you hose them off.

I will use pdz in the alum trays that stay there. presently using tose TSC boot trays on top of those.. to catch the poo.. but theblack plastic trays are only 14 inche wide and curvy. Those we remove everyday and scrape and rinse and scrub off.... but since the 14 inch trays are wavey and not as wide as the base trays of aluminum.. which are 18 inches wide lots going on there...and harder to clean...
I am looking at Ebay to find hard plastic trays same size as the alum trays to sit inside. and remove daily.
In other words the alum bake pans are the "floor" instead of wood of the poo board... There is just a wood "frame" to hold or set the alum trays...in
several plastic ones on Ebay but dont know if they are sturdy enough plus some cost more than the alum baking pans.... same 18 by 26 sized.
just wish I could see and feel them to see if they are sturdy etc enough....some listed as meat trays etc such as, way to expensive each.... I need 3 those are more than the alum pans...
I think I understand. So you want to line the trays for "easier cleaning". The baking sheets you ordered if I read correctly are approx. 1" deep, which should hold enough pdz and you should be able to just sift this daily to remove the droppings (use something like a kitty litter scoop) and add more pdz when needed. If you feel like you need a lining under the pdz and those liners are $$ think about using something like your feed bags as a liner. To be honest the reason I have poop catchers with sand/pdz is so I can scoop it out quickly everyday. No daily scraping or washing, just scooping. If you are using a pdz filled poop catchment system and are still having to wash and scrub it off everyday, then you may want to take a look at the size of the catchers, they may be too small. JMO. Yes, I do take mine out and wash them when the occasion arises, but all-in-all, for daily chores, it is not needed. I would love to see pics.

I just use two plastic trays with nothing on it. Scoop the poop off and dump it to the compost bin daily. Hose down the trays as needed. Keep it simple, light weight.

Skip the trays and just use PDZ/sand and sift poops out....never seen the point of trays, the edge would get nasty.

Oh yellowchicks where did you gt those vents? are they pvc or painted aluminum
already a using PDZ in other coop just need to take time to add it to new coop
plus doesnt take that long to take out and clean them,the 14 inch wide boot trays, with a scrub brush and rinse... esp since poo bd only is only 18 inches wide..but the current black plastic boot trays are only 14 inch wide and curvey....thay why I want removable plastic trays.....same sized.....currently have extra boot trays on floor too.. and old garage floor rubber mat....no pine shavings so far...
thanks anyway. ALSO the big alum pans are the base of the poo bd..just wish they were 24 inches wide instead of 18
HAPPY 2016 all we alll need luck in this coming N Year in this ever increasing NAnny State
wish Hubby would have made this chicken Rv as large but not as tall...

Last edited:
Oh yellowchicks where did you gt those vents? are they pvc or painted aluminum
The vents are just the painted 4" PVC vents bought from Home Depot. They are for passive ventilation only, not for active air exchange, thus a square window on every wall. As for the windows next to the roosting bar...my chickens like to look outside. In the summer, those windows are wide opened.

As you can see from this picture, my daily cleaning is to remove just the two poop boards to scrape off the poop, hose them with water if needed, no sieving necessary. The poop boards made of 1/16" rigid plastic panel cut to size, smooth surface with a 1" lip on 3 sides only, very easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom