Bought used chicken tractor...second thinking design!! ADVICE NEEDED!

briter30

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
I just purchased a used chicken tractor and am wondering if this tractor is going to work. I did not want to put a lot of money into the chicken tractor (spent $50) but already I see flaws with the design. First, does the roost area need to be more enclosed (we live in South Georgia)? What other problems do you see might arise with this design? Note: the nesting area is behind the roost.
91895_chicken_tractor.jpg

it is 3' high, 3'wide, and 8' long...We were told it would house 6-8 chickens....we got six chickens..thinking that a couple would be roosters and we would rehome them, but we are beginning to think there are maybe 5 or all six pullets.

You need covered space of about 4 sq. ft. per bird. That would be 4'x4' for 4 chickens (in the roost part). If they get out to free range during the day, the run part size isn't as much a problem.

That looks like chicken wire on the run. If you have predators, everyone says they can cut through chicken wire really easily. If you overlay hardware wire (maybe 1/2" squares) it will protect the birds better. In my chain link yard, I have chicken wire over the chain link on the outside edges of the yard and run. The coop is tight at night (locked door, hardware wire over the window openings), but we have raccoons and possums around here that would love a chicken dinner, not to mention the loose dogs in the area.

My hen hoop tractor was supposed to house up to 8 chickens. The internal coop part is only about 13 sq. feet (max 4 chickens and they would be crowded during winter storms when they are "cooped up"). I had to get my 7 girls bigger lodging before the winter. We had a tough winter, SO I'm really glad we did the upgrade for them.

Good luck with the chickies. You do have some space challenges.

I dont like the A-frame design coop. It does not leave much room for roosts.

I think in South GA you should be ok with the front being open. Just make sure the back side is to the prevailing wind.

I was in Adel GA about a month ago for a family reunion about a month ago. Even at the end of April, it was too hot for me down there. Love the area though.

Lee

Hi! I stuck some stuff on your other thread. We are in SC and ours was fine, mostly uncovered. We did make sure they were in shade most of the day and I had a plastic tarp I could put on one side if there was a big storm and we were home.

Back
Top Bottom