Bout to order my peeps, but question! How badly do I want to be sure?

Yoshii

Songster
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
Central Alabama (Chelsea)
...that I get pullets? I know, I know, age old question that I can only answer for myself, but here's how it stands.

I'm about ready to order my chicks, and it's coming down to Ideal or My Pet Chicken. These are to be pets/backyard birds, and I can't have roosters. I definitely want silkies, among a few other breeds. So! I'm debating between these two orders:

Ideal:
3 Blue silkies
2 Red silkies
1 White silkie
1 Partridge silkie
1 Blue cochin pullet
1 Buff brahma pullet
1 EE pullet
1 Silver Polish

(ordering lots of silkies in hopes of getting at least some pullets, hah)

Subtotal: $46.76 (Also, it says this, and I'm not sure it includes shipping, it's the birds, small order fee, quarter box fee, and air shipping, so it that the total or should I still anticipate ~30 more for shipping?)

MPC:
4 Silkie pullets
1 Blue cochin pullet
1 EE pullet
1 Leghorn pullet
1 SL Polish pullet

GRAND total: $89.95 (this includes shipping and such).

So, my two questions:
1. is there still going to be a shipping charge not yet incurred on the Ideal order? If so, this might make my decision easier, because the price wouldn't be that much different xD.
2. if it were you, ordering some for pets, would the price difference be enough to persuade you to go with MPC?

Thanks for any input or opinions, I'm getting antsy to order and I'm just not sure I could have the heart to give away the inevitable roos I'd get in the Ideal order if I'd already grown fond of them.

Thanks!

I don't think Ideal will charge you more for postage. I dug out my Ideal invoice from Feb to look, and I ordered 10 pullets, and with the Min/Small Order charge plus the Quarter box charge, I only paid $38.63. Sounds to me like Ideal is a much better deal than MPC.

I also can't have roosters, and although Ideal sent me 6 males for warmth, I was able to give them away a week after they arrived. At my request, Ideal marked the extras for me, and they feathered in much more slowly than the pullets I ordered. So far convinced that the girls I ordered are really girls, so I'm happy with Ideal's sexing record.

(I've also gotten pullets from the feedstore, which Ideal also supplied, and they did all turn out to be pullets.)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm not completely sure, but I think your Ideal total includes the shipping charges. You're ordering 11 chicks, and they're usually between $2-$3 each...that would total less than $30, plus shipping.

Besides that, it's still a tough choice. I would personally choose Ideal, but I live close to them so shipping is easier on the chicks. I don't know where MPC is... Also, have you spoken to anybody about the Silkie quality of both hatcheries? I got most of my chicks from Ideal, but my Silkies I got from a breeder and I love them.

Best wishes for your new flock, whichever way you decide!
big_smile.png

My shopping cart total for Ideal was the real total charged to my credit card.

I ordered 18 pullets (various breeds) and was charged a total of $57.06. Period. No other charges.

All arrived alive...and all are alive & well 3.5 weeks later
big_smile.png

I hope this helps....

If you want pullets, I would pay for the pullets you want. My second batch of hatchery chicks were pullets instead of straight run, and it was just so much less stressful not having all those cockerels to deal with (we ate some, gave some away, and STILL have a few).

Quote:
You bring up two very good points I hadn't considered -- quality of the birds, and location. I'm located in central Alabama, and MPC is in Connecticut, and Ideal is in Texas, which is closer. So that's another point towards Ideal. Guess I'm just gonna ask around about Ideal's silkie quality, thanks for the good points!

I think I've heard that MPC is just Meyer Hatchery chicks. Meyer Hatchery has the same (or better?) prices if you order from them directly.

You also might, depending where you live, go ahead and order a full 25 chicks -- order pullets that are easily distinguishable from what you are ordering and sell them on Craigslist for a little more than what you paid for them.

Avoid the small order charge, avoid packing peanuts, and make a little back to cover your time.

Meyer is in Ohio.

I ended up going with MPC for two reasons. One was the small order, and I know their packaging is better for the small number of chicks, and the other was that it was worth it to me to pay extra for the sexed silkies. I know most people don't have a problem re-homing roos, but the last thing I want to do is raise a silkie for 6 (or more) months, get attached to it only to have it turn out to be a boy. If you're ok with getting rid of the boys, then go cheaper. If your a wuss like me, pay the extra!
tongue.png

Quote:
This is true, but MPC is the only hatchery that'll sex bantams, and that's the only part I honestly care about. I'm leaning more towards Ideal though, but thanks!

Back
Top Bottom