1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bovans Browns

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LisaFoster, Nov 25, 2012.

1. LisaFoster

LisaFoster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Batesville, Arkansas
    I recently purchased eight chickens called Bovans Browns from some FHA students. They each lay a large brown egg on a daily basis. I couldn't be more pleased. I know they are a hybrid, I just don't know what the parents are. I've tried looking this up, to no avail. Does anyone on here know what they breed together to get this wonderful chicken?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The Bovan is a hybrid, but more to that, they are a strain of commercial layers that have been selectively bred for decades. The parent stock is a Red rooster line (heavy on RIR and Brown Leghorn, most likely) and a white hen line, which is heavy on silver/white laying strains, likely including traces of White Leghorn, White Sussex, etc.

You simply cannot know, as commercial hens are bred from privately held, proprietary stock. They really aren't a "breed" anymore, not even the parent stock.

Bovan is now part of the European poultry genetics giant which includes Hendrix, ISA and many other names. Google the company's website, but there's no information that ever disclose the mixes uses in these proprietary breeding flocks.

3. LisaFoster

Oct 23, 2012
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Thank you, that was very helpful. They are wonderful birds. Beautiful, friendly and great producers.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So are these birds the same as an ISA? Or does the same company have multiple strains?

5. Fred's Hens

The Hendrix Corp has 7 ? divisions. Hendrix has a half dozen or more, of the various RSL "type" birds. The Bovan Brown is not an ISA Brown. Even the tone of the egg color is slightly different. LOL

6. Fred's Hens

BTW, when folks buy from feed stores and various hatcheries and order RSLs. Chances are very, very good that their Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets and similarly named birds, are simply one of the various Bovan, Hendrix, DeKalb, Tetra, Hy-Sex or other commercial bird, renamed, of course, with a nifty name for marketing reasons.

Yes, they are docile, friendly and wonderful birds. This personality trait admired by backyarders was created in the bird primarily for the caged layer industry.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I find it amazing they have so many different means to the same end. I guess diversity is good, but it's weird how they can come at it from so many different angles.

8. LisaFoster

Oct 23, 2012
    Batesville, Arkansas
    LOL... Makes it pretty confusing to us beginners. I never thought I would enjoy having chickens so much, but I just absolutely love these girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by