Bow legged Ducks sit around all day

ValV

Hatching
Feb 7, 2022
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I registered to be able to ask this question. I have saved 5 ducks from a horrible house where they weren’t fed properly and just left to roam around to eat grass. I believe they grew with a niacin deficit. They sit around all day and can’t stand on their legs for more than 2 minutes maybe. However, they eat well, they drink a lot, they are clean and they can preen themselves perfectly and each other. They can jump in the little pool and come out but… they just always sit around. I also sometimes find them sitting in awkward positions (see attached picture). I am feeding them proper feed now. I am supplementing with B3 but… I believe they are at least 8 weeks old, they are big and they are growing but they don’t quack yet, just that baby duck sounds still…
Can anyone confirm if ducks sit around a lot or does anyone know if the legs can get better or it might be too late?
Thank you so much

Attachments

• 89164229-FA68-4D7A-864E-6068C33C726A.png
    89164229-FA68-4D7A-864E-6068C33C726A.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 39
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I registered to be able to ask this question. I have saved 5 ducks from a horrible house where they weren’t fed properly and just left to roam around to eat grass. I believe they grew with a niacin deficit. They sit around all day and can’t stand on their legs for more than 2 minutes maybe. However, they eat well, they drink a lot, they are clean and they can preen themselves perfectly and each other. They can jump in the little pool and come out but… they just always sit around. I also sometimes find them sitting in awkward positions (see attached picture). I am feeding them proper feed now. I am supplementing with B3 but… I believe they are at least 8 weeks old, they are big and they are growing but they don’t quack yet, just that baby duck sounds still…
Can anyone confirm if ducks sit around a lot or does anyone know if the legs can get better or it might be too late?
Thank you so much
With the correct diet their legs may grow stronger. The posture shown in the picture is not normal at all. If the legs are bowed it is probably too late to correct it. If they are weak, that can improve in time. I notice they do not have their flight feathers yet, so be cautious about giving too much protein as it can cause angel wing. The ducks certainly don't need another handicap to deal with.

It does certainly sound like they have a niacin deficiency. Unfortunately, once leg deformity begins, it isn't easily corrected even when niacin levels are restored. Best of luck with them.

Not sure which niacin you're supplementing with, but I'd opt for the liquid super b complex sold at farm supply stores. You give each one 1mL per day over a treat or food that they will quickly gobble up.
Even severe niacin deficiencies have been corrected with proper food and supplements. They could still have minor issues of course. What feed are you currently providing?
The sitting is probably due to the deficiencies, but also growing ducklings tend to sit a lot especially the larger breeds.

With the correct diet their legs may grow stronger. The posture shown in the picture is not normal at all. If the legs are bowed it is probably too late to correct it. If they are weak, that can improve in time. I notice they do not have their flight feathers yet, so be cautious about giving too much protein as it can cause angel wing. The ducks certainly don't need another handicap to deal with.
Thank you, I have started niacin now and other vitamins and minerals and giving them plenty of fresh veggies although they are not very interested. Hopefully they can get better. I would be devastated if they all died.

Back
Top Bottom