Boy Quail?

malkered

Chirping
May 16, 2015
Brighton, United Kingdom

This is one of my quail, I believe he is a male but he looks slightly different to my other male who has no speckles on his chest at all and crows loudly.,

This one has some speckling and doesn't crow.

What do people think?

I am unable to see the color of the throat. Maybe this will help.

Sexing Coturnix or Japanese Quail.
Posted by admin | coturnix quail | Wednesday 17 October 2007 7:19 pm
When raising Coturnix quail sexing can be done in several different ways. For most normal colored Coturnix quail. This can be done by their colors. The male Coturnix will have rusty brown colored feathers on the upper throat and lower breast area. The female’s color is somewhat similar to that of the male quail but the feathers are long and pointed in the throat and upper breast area. They are lighter and more of a cinnamon color. The female quail also has a little black in the tan breast feathers.

Another way of differentiating between the sexes when raising these quail is that the female will weigh a little more than the male. The weight difference may be a little as a half of an ounce. But there is a difference.

Because of the many color variations of Coturnix quail available for raising. Sometimes it is impossible to sex these quail by color. So vent sexing may be necessary. This type of sexing can be done very accurately when raising the Cotunix quail, if done properly.

When using this method, the male of the specie has a small bulb like area located in its vent section. This is called the cloacal gland. When the male Coturnix quail reaches sexual maturity, this gland will secrete a foamy looking substance. The female of this quail specie does not have this gland, you will not find this bulb like gland in their vent area.

When raising these quail and wanting to sex at a young age, you may be able to see this gland with some type of magnification device. You may want to be careful putting your face in the vent area.

i had a rescue button quail and i thought he was a boy because he had a bib so doesnt that mean he is a male? i guess not because ''he'' started laying eggs!!!! so does anyone in nc have button quail for sale? males or females.only if 2 females dont fight.thanks anyone for helping.

i had a rescue button quail and i thought he was a boy because he had a bib so doesnt that mean he is a male? i guess not because ''he'' started laying eggs!!!! so does anyone in nc have button quail for sale? males or females.only if 2 females dont fight.thanks anyone for helping.
Picture from the internet. A male Button Quail. Two females will get along. Try pet shops. Here, in Wisconsin, button quail are often seen in pet shops.

Now I'm confused!
We had the above quail for several weeks believing it was a male (called Gary) along with a known female (Rose) and a known male (Barry).
During the time that we had just the three quail we only ever had one egg at a time.

We brought home two known females and, because this quail got along with the two newbies and the other two were aggressive this one and the two newbies are in together and we've been getting two eggs a day for the last few days. Today, within the space of an hour, we had three eggs! Either one of the newbies has gone into egg overdrive or Gary is a girl!

Let me see a picture of that birds back. It looks like it might be a roux dilute. If it is a normal brown its come from a breeder letting birds that arent true to color reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom