• Boy

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

kearstin17

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Grand junction
This little one is 4 weeks old and my favorite of my chicks. The lady at the store said it was a Rhode Island Red and that it was a hen but I am guessing she lied cause it's sure looking like a rooster to me. Please tell me if you think by any tiny chance it could still be a hen and if it is in fact a RIR.

She may not have lied. As far as she knew it could have been sexed a girl, but just sexed wrong. Its deffinitly a boy. Sexing chickens is not 100% unless they are laying eggs.

I ordered some RIR pullets from a hatchery and one of them is a little rooster
barnie.gif
. Even when they sex thousands - it happens. He will be going to freezer camp in the fall.

Ok anyone have a clue what I can do with him besides kill him? I can't have a rooster but I don't have a clue on how to find him a home. Oh and how old would he need to be to be able to go to a new home?

OMG- that made me laugh...

A boy???

OH YES!!!

Don't think she lied to you tho- I got a few that were "pullet" but some how came with boy parts! It just happens... Sexing chickens is not as easy as puppies or human babies! :)

He is going to be beautiful tho!

I got a RIR chick from the pullet bin last year and everybody I asked told me it was a roo. It had a huge comb, bright red wattles, beautiful rooster tail, and ruled the coop by three weeks old. Happily I can report that even today WENDY may be an almost dead ringer for a roo but SHE lays very well! (And yes, I have seen her lay so I know she's a girl!)
big_smile.png

I got a RIR chick from the pullet bin last year and everybody I asked told me it was a roo. It had a huge comb, bright red wattles, beautiful rooster tail, and ruled the coop by three weeks old. Happily I can report that even today WENDY may be an almost dead ringer for a roo but SHE lays very well! (And yes, I have seen her lay so I know she's a girl!)
big_smile.png
Do you have any pictures of yours when it was little? I would so love for him to be a her. I love this little guy so much.

It's a shame you can't keep him! You can try and add on this forum and also on craigslist - someone will hopefully be interested! Be advised though, the person who takes him may very well make a meal out of him.

Back
Top Bottom