Boys or Girls?

All of them are 3.5 weeks old in those photos. They will be 4 weeks old tomorrow.

I really didn't want #3 to be a rooster! That one is my best photo model!! So far everyone but the white one has continued to stay similar, but the white one is 100% rooster, behavior and appearance. I don't mind having 1 rooster, but I would prefer the other 4 to be hens. All of them have tail feathers that are very similar. Chick #1 grew tail feathers first (they started coming in at 3 days old!), but the rest caught up.

Lanissa,

Too bad you live so far away, if chick 3 turns into a rooster I will probably keep that one and find a home for the white one. I haven't decided yet. If you want eggs when they're older I'll send you some (if I can figure out packing, shipping, etc.). All are bantams, I don't know if that changes your wanting eggs or not.

wow!..now i know what they mean when they say the legs are green!...my amercaunas legs are not that color?! mine are pink!...or is an EE a differant breed than a ameracauna?..wendy

My guess is that the colored chicks are pullets and the white one is the cockerel. I would look again at 6-8 weeks and then the three distinct ridges on cockerels is usually much easier to see.
Good luck and they are pretty!

Mine are probably EE, not true Ameraucanas. They were sold from Ideal hatchery as Ameraucanas, but from what I've read on this site that probably still means EE. The breeds are similar, but the EE is basically anything that doesn't fall into the Ameraucana breed standard as far as appearance and egg color. They still lay blue/green eggs and have the greenish legs though.

They are all so beautiful!
D.gif

so.. my ameracaunas should not have green legs?...i'm so confused about these two breeds.
th.gif
... and will my ameracauna still lay blue/green eggs if they dont have green legs?...thanks..Wendy

Ameraucanas and EEs both should have green legs. I think that true Ameraucanas lay blue eggs while EEs lay a combination of blue, green, pink, brown, etc. I'm not an expert, I've just picked up a few things on this site. If your birds have pink legs they are probably EEs and not true Ameraucanas. Where did you get yours? If you got them from a hatchery they are most likely EEs. I also don't think that leg color has anything to do with egg color.

Quote:
All of my EE's have green legs. I am pretty sure that they usually have green legs. The only one of mine that I am not sure of is a rooster than has a single comb and blue legs. But I was told he was an EE. So there you go.......

..hi..um....so....who knows what bird i REALLY have then...i purchased mine from a breeder...i dont want to say who...just in case they are members on this site...
big_smile.png
..and they honestly seemed like very nice people....but the pink legs has me concerned...i searched and searched for a breeder..because i really wanted an Ameracauna or an EE...so..i guess i wont know till they lay..if they are not roosters!
he.gif
....thanks, for the info..Wendy

Back
Top Bottom