Boys??

Sep 22, 2020
Texas United States
20220810_135711.jpg
20220810_135716.jpg
20220810_135721.jpg
20220810_135740.jpg
20220810_135744.jpg

Ok. So these guys are barred rock easter Eggers mixes. Idk how old they are but I really think they are boys. Any thoughts?

How old? And are there two or three birds up for assessment here? I can't tell if the third pic is the same bird as in the first two.

The second one looks like a boy to me - mostly because of the rust in the wings. I could go either way on the first one. If it were a BR, that comb wouldn't bother me at about 8 weeks.

I don't know how much the BR barring gene plays a role in a cross with an EE, so hopefully some folks with experience with the cross will weigh in.

And maybe post again in a week or two, when they're definitely a solid 8 weeks. And if you can get them in natural light, standing on their own (from the side), that is usually the best way to be able to see the entire bird.

Fun cross - they look like BRs... but not!

The second one looks like a boy to me - mostly because of the rust in the wings. I could go either way on the first one. If it were a BR, that comb wouldn't bother me at about 8 weeks.

I don't know how much the BR barring gene plays a role in a cross with an EE, so hopefully some folks with experience with the cross will weigh in.

And maybe post again in a week or two, when they're definitely a solid 8 weeks. And if you can get them in natural light, standing on their own (from the side), that is usually the best way to be able to see the entire bird.

Fun cross - they look like BRs... but not!
That's what I was thinking, I was really unsure about the first one. Also the 2nd one is bigger then the first one and they are from the same hatch

Yeah, unfortunately, being unsure is usually a good sign to check back in when they're a little older. They'll eventually tell you! (weeks... weeks I spent being sure one of my pullets was a cockerel)

Back
Top Bottom