BP oil spill location, western FL panhandle note, and underwater oil.

Intheswamp

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 25, 2009
South Alabama
The following was forwarded to me from a retired AF colonel who lives in Fort Walton Beach, FL. The person who wrote the article is in very close contact with NOAA. Both of these gentlemen are well informed. I've been concerned about the "underwater oil" but haven't seen a lot mentioned about it...this somewhat confirms my fears. Something as simple as fried crab-claws are becoming a rarity down here...oysters will be gone, shrimp,...gulf coast seafood could very well be gone for years...a way of life and a culture, my little 3 1/2 year old granddaughter and her generation will not see and experience many things along the gulf that generations before them have experienced.

A couple of notes...
1) One gallon of gasoline can contaminate 2,000,000-10,000,000 gallons of groundwater.
2) One quart of oil can contaminate up to 275,000 gallons of drinking water or cause an
oil slick almost 2 acres in size.

The oil spill in the gulf is bad, very bad.
Link to map of NOAA forcast of spill location for Friday, June 4, 2010.

Ed

To All,

Read about the underwater oil that BP denies exists. This will impact the economy adversely for Decades.

Dick K.
===========================

At this time Escambia and Santa Rosa County's have deployed more than 60 boats out in the Gulf and Bays with booms to attempt to coral and capture most of the oil globs. Much success depends on how these thunderstorms and winds affect the surface waves. As you most likely know, booms are more effective with calmer waters. The inlet to Pensacola Pass have several booms in place and many areas inside of Pensacola Bay, Blackwater Bay, East Bay, waterways and bayou’s have booms in place. Unfortunately, none can be 100% effective…sad but that’s the reality.

There are additional boasts that are on standby for deployment into the Gulf and inland water areas. Much of the additional contingency deployments of the resources will depend on timing…but the county’s do and are acting responsibly. More so than BP and the Feds.have several booms in place and many areas inside of Pensacola Bay, Blackwater Bay, East Bay, waterways and bayou's have booms in place. Unfortunatley, none can be 100% effective...sad but that's the reality.

Here is what I know about the underwater oil globs that are 'not' being reported. Independent University Science Departments have moved all their research vessels into the Gulf of Mexico and are taking numerous water samples, acoustic sound waves, SCUBA and remote submarines and other testing devices and are finding very large areas of oil masses...some as long and wide as 20 to 40 miles long. The depths of the oil sludge vary in all locations...but there are many. BP of course denies their existence of the masses.

Here's the other rub on using the dispersants...although the dispersant does in fact break up the large mass to very small particles...they sink and only a small percentage will evaporate. That that does sink stays below the surface or makes it to the floor.

Now when a tropical storm or hurricane develops....those tiny droplets will re-gel back into the large globs... the spinning and churning water will act like a mixer bowl and push it all back together. And the oil will resurface; again some will disperse and evaporate but not enough...maybe 10% or slightly more. Then back to square one.

That oil that does make it to the Gulf floor or walls... will kill all plants, animals, mammals and other sea life. The deepest depth of the Gulf is approximately 13,132 feet... but there are several shallower shelves at 300 to 500 feet deep. Thousands of dead fish and other mammals are floating onto beaches, including dead birds.

So we here in Navarre Beach area are expecting the oil globs to reach us by this weekend. Already the oil sheen line is less than 7 miles from Pensacola Beach and this week's storms and winds are rapidly pushing it towards Navarre Beach and soon Destin Florida...
~Ed​

Shameful mess and no end in site. I don't think people will ever learn what a disaster they themselves create on this planet.

Americans do not realize how serious this is.

My brother was stationed at Fort Walton until his recent move to Tyndall AFB near Panama City. He tries to keep our family up-to-speed on these things.

Scary stuff. Our planet-our lives will never be the same.

Tammy

The whole thing is disgusting. I don't think any more drilling should be allowed unless the company can demonstrate that the well can be fixed at the depth that it is drilled! I am a guilty oil/gas consumer like most everyone else but I sure am up for cutting down and finding better alternatives. Every little bit helps.

Update from my buddies down in the panhandle. Also includes multi-day forecasts...note the wind speed and direction.... Ed

Subject: Thursday's Weather update and Oil trajectory

Numerous scattered showers and thunderstorms are slowly moving and building in our region. All the heavy moisture is coming directly north out of the Gulf. There is an unusual atmospheric instability that will affect these storms by this afternoon and create some very strong and frequent lightening and thunder. There will be areas that will have very gusty winds, heavy rain and hail (that will have the potential to become very large and damaging). Waterspouts are expected to develop in the open waters in the Gulf and Bay area. This weather pattern is expected to continue through tonight and the weekend.

Also, I am monitoring a large Low pressure area currently west of Houston, Texas. The counter rotation is becoming better organized and pushing strong frontal winds out into the Gulf. The wind pattern is colliding with a High pressure system south Baton Rouge and in the Gulf. The Low system follows the same pattern of winter storms that paralleled the coast earlier this year. Unfortunately, the wind pattern will push the oil slick much closer to Navarre Beach to Destin and beyond. As is stands now, our current storms are developing just east of Louisiana and the oil disaster area; pushing the Gulf waters towards Pensacola Beach.

No word yet as to the exact location of the oil slick that is nearing Pensacola Beach. However, once the beach there is affected it may only be 24 hours away from Navarre Beach and 48 hours away from Destin. These times are NOT set in stone as the current weather pattern and water currents will affect the speed in which the oil slick is moving. I had a confirmed visual account on yesterday’s mass and the fishermen were 12 miles southeast of the Pensacola pass yesterday afternoon at 12pm. Their report was several dark brown oil sludge masses on the surface and surface oil sheen.

Today: Showers and thunderstorms. High near 82. South wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 75. South southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 86. West southwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 79. South southwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. Southwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 78. West southwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 87. West southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday Night: Isolated showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 78. West wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Monday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 89. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a low around 78. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 89. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 78.

Wednesday: Isolated showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 89. Chance of precipitation is 20%.​

Last edited:
oh just makes me sick! and Im in Indiana.... I cant imagine what its like to be right there.... all I can do is buy Dawn and hope it helps. If you didnt know they donate a $1 when you buy a bottle.

Quote:
If the oil pollution is as bad as it is looking to be this will affect even those who seem to have their heads stuck in the sand. It will not only affect the inhabitants of the gulf coast but everybody in the United States and beyond. Hopefully the latest BP effort to get a straw in the pipe will work and we can fend off most of the oil for the next couple of months until the relief bores are drilled. The wildcard is that we're coming up on hurricane season and that could delay/destroy any progress that is made. Until the relief bores are completed and that devilish hole is filled with cement/concrete there will be a danger of further leakage. I'm just hoping the remaining underground length of piping going down into the reservoir has not been compromised...that could be a very bad thing.

Remember that the $1 donation that Dawn makes is not automatic. A purchaser has to activate the donation online by going here.... Dawn Donation Activation . If it is not activated then it's not donated.

Best wishes,
Ed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom