BR Hen with (intestinal?) infection?

Feathyr

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Idaho
One of my old BR hens (either 6 or 7 years old) appears to have some sort of abdominal infection. She's been acting off for about a month - no irregular droppings, no temperature, good color, good appetite, chatty... just a little tired. I chalked it up to old age, as I handle her daily and couldn't find anything wrong besides her gradual weight loss. She felt good enough to fight with our goose the other day...

Yesterday afternoon I realized her abdomen - just below the vent area- is inflamed and slightly hard to the touch. Since she's showing no other symptoms, I'm not sure what it is (cancer, possibly?) and have no idea what I should treat her with.

Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I would post this in the emergencies thread where it will be seen by more people who can help. How is she doing?

Hi there,
I would post this in the emergencies thread where it will be seen by more people who can help. How is she doing?
The better suggestion is to have the thread moved to the Emergencies forum. It helps prevent duplicate threads. The easiest way for the thread to get moved is by having the OP use the report button to request a moderator to move the thread.

Alot of duck emergencies are on the Duck Forum.

Same with Quail Emergencies being on the Quail Forum.
Many of the Turkeys forum illness threads do better in the Emergencies forum since the treatment is very often the same as the treatment for chickens. Unfortunately none of this is helping the OP. I cannot help her because I do not have illnesses in my flock and if I do get a sick bird, I immediately cull it just in case it is a communicable disease. My method works for me and keeps my flock healthy but will not help the OP to figure out what is wrong with her hen and any possible treatments.

Back
Top Bottom