BR Roo and GLW Roos/should I keep them?? PICS!

Jessika

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Eagle Creek, OR
I am debating on keeping these 3 roos. Right now 2 out of 3 are in "bachelor" pens till I decide. I don't know how ugly or nice looking they are ....no clue. Not a one of the roos are related to each other or any other chicken on the farm.

Please excuse mess in my pens...We we just getting ready to move pens around (they are all tractor style) and get them set for winter with sand in the bottom of runs....so I didn't bother shoveling raking them yet. We didn't get near as much done as I would of liked today...but you know how that is.
idunno.gif

1) BR Roo Name: Rocky Born:Feb 2008

I have 3 BR hens I thought of putting Rocky here in with them...but i am not sure how quality (not planning on showing ...kids are bugging me to let them join 4-H tho) they are. What do you think of him? If nothing else I think he may make me some nice layer babies for next year. Here are 3 pics of him...he was being really moody tonight...maybe has a little full moon syndrome...

roads1.jpg

roads2.jpg

roads3.jpg

GLW Roo Name: Roads Born: March 2008

Same story here...I have some pretty GLW gals I am wondering about hooking him up with. He is a nice roo...but feisty too tonight!

rocky1.jpg

rocky2.jpg

rocky3.jpg

And then I have Muddy GLW Roo ... Born May 2008

We call him muddy because he loves digging bugs out of the mud and giving them to the ladies. look at his tail feathers...mud...yup. I can't keep him out of it. He is in a run/coop with some ladies that are his age. No one is laying yet so I am not worried about him in there. He was supposed to be a girl...but no...he is defiantly a roo. Not sure what to do with him...but I have tons of GLW hens so I was think in a few months...well...ya know. Plus he is the nicest roo attitude wise. You can pet and hold him. He has a ways to go on growing his feathers in..but he is the youngest of the roos..

Muddy2.jpg

muddy1.jpg

muddy3.jpg

If nothing else I can use this as a learning example...I really appreciate any input...you wont hurt my feelings...if there ugly tell me they are...LOL

Thank you!!

Last edited:
I dont think you should keep Rocky the BR
I think you should give him to me!!
lol.png

Rocky is a gorgous roo! IMHO
He has a nice tight barred pattern and from what I can see has good structure
He is a keeper!!!

I am not familiar enough of the others breeds to comment on them though.

I wonder if Roads is a Partridge Wyandotte...I was told GLW when I got him.....I think that is what they said....but that was before I learned to write everything down..lol

Thank you on the complements on Rocky. He is Huge..taller than my knee and I am 5 feet 6 inches tall. He doesn't like people much. And I only have a 50% chance he will like me on any given day...it depends on how hungry he is....lol

Hey...you if you live close enough I can...lol

I think I will keep him for breeding but I would really love to hear more opinion on these roos...

Anyone? Some one else know anything on GLW Roos?

I would keep Roads. I AM worried about his stance towards you. It could be the beginning of the aggressive side of Wyandottes that I'm used to seeing.

Thank you for your input! I know when you look at him from the front he does have that heart shape appearance. I am hoping Muddy will feather out nicely too.

Roads was always sweet until about a month ago. When he has females of his own do you think it will help his attitude?

Thanks again!

Is he attacking right now or is he just doing the stance? If he's attacking...get rid of him. No matter HOW pretty a rooster is...a good temperament is my number one priority.

He was trying to eat my shoelaces! He mostly puffs up....but that time he really wanted to eat my laces. He wasn't hungry. I had to get him off my shoe.

does he puff up his neck feathers when he attempted to eat your shoe lace?

Edited to add link to a video:

does he act like that rooster without the jumping fit?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom