Br... Roo Or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tracie70, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Tracie70

Tracie70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any advice in advance.... I have two barred rocks and I am thinking they are roo's but one is starting to confuse me. He looks a little bit smaller then the other and his tail isn't getting long feathers on it like the other one. They are 4 months old. The first picture is of the one that the tail is starting fluff out more and he/she is a starting to look smaller. And oh they are the exact same age...
    Now the last picture is of the one that I am pretty sure is the roo. He is a bit larger and his tail is starting to show a curl to it.
    Whatcha you guys think? Does anyone now also about there stripes I thought I read that the thicker the white it is a roo? Is this right?
    Again thanks for any help sorry the pictures aren't better they are hard to get pictures of specially when there running around my yard. LOL I think they no I am trying to get that perfect pose. Fast lil devils...
  2. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I think that they both are roos. the tails are saying alot and for 4 months old that is alot of comb.
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    I agree, pretty sure they are both roosters.
  4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Yep, I have one the same age that looks exactly like yours. Mine isn't crowing yet but everything else points to roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by