BR w/ Bad Attitude

RedDrgn

Anachronistic Anomaly
11 Years
May 11, 2011
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
About 2 weeks ago, we noticed that our BR was starting to bully our BA (both 10 month old and raised together); seeking her out and chasing her down, pecking her in the head, and occasionally pulling feathers out. No idea why (six chickens with 112 square feet to roam in the run and she was even pulling this crap while they were free ranging).

So we pulled the BR out and put in solitary confinement away from everyone. After three days, we tried to return the BR and she immediately starting running down the BA again. So the BR was removed, again. As of tonight, the BR has been out of the flock for 7 full days.

We put her, in a crate, in the run with the rest of the flock this evening to see what would happen. The BA immediately puffed up and ran as if expecting to be chased and the BR actually tried to chase her every time she saw her! Thank goodness for bars!

So what in the world do we do? Anything that may still change her attitude or was this hen made for cookin'?

Unless blood is being drawn, you need to leave them to work it out. The BR will always be over the BA, most likely. BRs are not pushovers and it can look savage from the outside looking in, but it's their way.

No, there's not been any blood drawn, yet. The BR (somewhere in the middle of the pecking order) always has been over the BA (definitely at the bottom), but up until a few weeks ago that only meant that everyone occasionally gave the BA a hard peck or pushed her aside and made her go last when it came to food/treats.

The BA even took to sticking very close to our roo when free ranging because he'd run himself ragged trying to break them up when he'd catch the BR beating on the BA.

I guess we'll let the BR out of the crate tomorrow morning and let them do their thing. What happens if blood is drawn (other than that we hopefully see it before the rest of the flock pecks her to death)?

If you see her daily, it will be fine. Those two may always have their issues. Some of mine do. They sometimes get their combs pecked a bit, but it never goes beyond that. Pecking order can really look rough to us, I realize.

We see them all twice a day (minimum), and sometimes all day long.
lol.png

I put the BR on the roost in the coop last night, and so far, no troubles today. The BR hasn't made any moves towards the BA. The BA is still being wary, raising hackles when the BR approaches, but not running away any more. If they have their hissy fits in the future, we'll just watch. It was just strange that, overnight, the BR decided she had beef with the BA (nothing had changed in any routines or feed or anything).
idunno.gif

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom