Brabanter breeding project

I got my first brabanters as hatching eggs from HandHPoultry. I got the next round a year later from Ideal. The eggs I just hatched from these two are producing birds with barring not as good as their parents. I will be crossing in a Spitzhauben next, trying to fix the barring.

I have been communicating with HandHpoultry, she said that my hens have a little to much black and not enough cream in creast, and their beards/muffs are a little to big, but pretty good for birds right from the hatchery. I am going to be getting some eggs from her also in a little while.

the way I would recommend is pair mating the hens you have each to the roo you have and keep records. you can then essentially start multiple lines this way and to further expand the gene pool ad, say, a gold brabanter into one line and so on. main thing is if you are wanting to breed the creams more then you should learn the genetics behind cream and see how adding gold will affect them.

I'm pretty sure what there is a reason that you are not supposed to breed gold to cream, can't remember the reason. It seems like it is because the gold is dominant?

Back
Top Bottom