Brahma Chicken with diarrhea, laying soft eggs

Thanks. I took @Eggcessive's advice and gave her half a tums yesterday and again this morning. I also ordered enrofloxacin and I think it should arrive today.

Her activity level is back to normal. I noticed this morning that there were two soft-shelled eggs in the overnight poo pile, like they're just falling out of her while she sleeps. I've got my fingers crossed she'll get better.
I should mention yhat my Light Brahms has a history of laying two soft eggs at once when she comes into lay. This year she kaid one shelled egg and I don’t think she’s laid since. Keeping a close watch myself.

Update: The enrofloxacin hasn't arrived yet, and I got some vitamin D, but when I got it home I found the package had been opened and I haven't had a change to exchange it yet. BUT, I have been giving her half a tums for the past couple of days and today she laid a perfect, hard shell egg! And it looks like her diarrhea has cleared up too.

So, should I still give her the enrofloxacin when it arrives? And how long should I continue the tums?

Thanks!

Since she had 2 possible eggs that you feel had broken inside, giving her the enro might be a good idea, since most things I have read say that treating any reproductive infection early is key to it helping to prevent salpingitis. I will let you decide, but you will need to toss her eggs for several weeks until the medicine is no longer in the egg. I am very glad that he shells have become strong, and I would just make sure that she is taking enough crushed oyster shell. D3 is found in egg yolk, so you could feed her a bit of scrambled egg for some extra.

Since she had 2 possible eggs that you feel had broken inside, giving her the enro might be a good idea, since most things I have read say that treating any reproductive infection early is key to it helping to prevent salpingitis. I will let you decide, but you will need to toss her eggs for several weeks until the medicine is no longer in the egg. I am very glad that he shells have become strong, and I would just make sure that she is taking enough crushed oyster shell. D3 is found in egg yolk, so you could feed her a bit of scrambled egg for some extra.
Okay, I will still give her the medicine just in case. Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom