Brahma crosses for meat?

Ok so silly me got an incubator and hatched 20 out of 21 chicks almost 3 weeks ago. I also received my order of rainbow rangers last week. My mixes are about a week older than the rangers. so far the mutts appear bigger (even as day olds the size was recognizable). So my question is has anyone ever used a Brahma over dual purpose hens for meat? What was the outcome? Either way I will be processing them all. Perhaps I need to weigh at different stages etc. for each bird/breed and see the difference. Maybe time will only tell. Just wondered if anyone has ever done it before lol. Mother mother’s are Barnevelder, dark and light Brahma, RIR, barred plymouth Rock, and a Cochin.
I have done Easter Egger X Brahma, & the offspring turned out huge, with a good amount of meat. The biggest cockerel I got out of the batch of 12 stood 24 inches tall, & weigh about 15lbs.

I no longer have him sadly, I spared him for a project. I found him with his neck wrung.

Here's a picture, or two of him about a week, before I found him dead.
20201126_121046.jpg
20201126_120938.jpg

My Dark Brahma were laying just about 7 months (its on the calendar, maybe 7 mo+1 week or minus a week on the earliest, last was a few weeks after that). For my purposes, even that it is too long to feed a bird before I get three medium eggs every five days - and my DB hens only outweigh, at age one year, my dual purpose by a pound, my comets by a pound and a half - but their pattern disappears on my property, which is a good thing for predator protection.

At a few months, they LOOKED larger, but it was all feathers, actual weights were surprisingly low given the bulk of the bird
Haha, I don't keep those here. Mine have to be friendly and easygoing or they can't stay since temperament is a heritable trait. Mine is the biggest teddy bear and it's a good thing. Sure don't want that mass hitting the back of my legs!
He used to be super sweet but in winter I’m working till after dark so now I’m the outcast

I have done Easter Egger X Brahma, & the offspring turned out huge, with a good amount of meat. The biggest cockerel I got out of the batch of 12 stood 24 inches tall, & weigh about 15lbs.

I no longer have him sadly, I spared him for a project. I found him with his neck wrung.

Here's a picture, or two of him about a week, before I found him dead.
View attachment 2654477View attachment 2654478
what was the rate of growth? slow or fast?

Back
Top Bottom