Brahma hen missing feathers—in only a few hours—on top-back of her head?

CBPTFB

Hatching
Jul 6, 2021
Hello Backyard Chicken Community,

Unsure why a round patch of missing feathers occurred—on the top-back of one hen’s head (see pics attached)—between this morning and afternoon. Any thoughts on what this could be from are greatly appreciated!

I’m new here, so if more info is needed, do let me know. But a few bits of information are: we have five Brahmas, hens only; one has been brooding for about three days (still trying to break this cycle); all do free-range; and the others do not seem to be picking on her from what I’ve noticed over the last hour/couple hours. Last, I feel badly for her, am worried, and have applied Vetericyn Plus to the area.

In Kindness,
CBPTFB

Attachments

• 4EA3D039-B63A-4C66-B11B-A66C306FB940.jpeg
    4EA3D039-B63A-4C66-B11B-A66C306FB940.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CB360CE6-14DE-4E4F-81E1-7395AF4DD9F5.jpeg
    CB360CE6-14DE-4E4F-81E1-7395AF4DD9F5.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 6DA15851-B080-4B58-9171-F995F3D93ACF.jpeg
    6DA15851-B080-4B58-9171-F995F3D93ACF.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 5
This is from feather picking by the others. It usually happens more to crested birds such as polish. Is she low in pecking order? Is there any reason why the others would bully her? I have used separation inside a dog crate with food and water, and applied plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment to the bare skin if it is bleeding. You can also try BluKote spray a bluing spay to color the red color to help in healing and to prevent pecking.

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I am unsure as to her position in the group, but will pay more attention to this social aspect. Though, tonight, she is sitting on the middle-left side when perching in the coop; if this is an indicator of the pecking order/hierarchical position? I do not know of any reason(s) for her to be bullied. This is the first time such an incident has occurred. I thought, or hoped, this was a self-inflicted accident, such as her feathers were caught on something (e.g., fencing, metal chair, etc.), but realize more so now that this is a very slim possibility. Although her skin is irritated/red, the skin is not bleeding. It seems you are suggesting to remove her: is that correct?

Thanks again!, Eggcessive!

The pecking order will change from time to time. As it does this kind of "injury" will happen. I have moved my hen to a safe place to heal. Red areas are a target. Even if it is not bleeding. The attention of the other hens will be caught by the red color and the pecking will continue. Once the injured area is no longer a bright red and has started healing it will be safe to return her to the flock. Good luck and quick healing .

Back
Top Bottom