Brahma hen size

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
My beautiful brahma ladies (assuming ladies) are now 16 weeks old! I have read that they can get to be 30 inches tall but I'm curious if that's typical for them or more of an exception, as well as if hens get that large. If you have brahma hens, are they near 30 inches? Also, I know they mature later than my other breeds. Should I expect them to grow in height much more than they are now, at 16 weeks? I love these birds and am just trying to prepare the coop ahead of time in case adjustments are needed.

My beautiful brahma ladies (assuming ladies) are now 16 weeks old! I have read that they can get to be 30 inches tall but I'm curious if that's typical for them or more of an exception, as well as if hens get that large. If you have brahma hens, are they near 30 inches? Also, I know they mature later than my other breeds. Should I expect them to grow in height much more than they are now, at 16 weeks? I love these birds and am just trying to prepare the coop ahead of time in case adjustments are needed.

If they're hatchery birds they're unlikely to be as large as the breed SOP targets.

I had a hatchery Light Brahma rooster who was over 2 feet tall but the hens were considerably shorter.

Still, my Brahmas have been big girls -- Dumpling, my most recent Brahma, was maybe 25% larger than the Australorps and about twice the size of the California White.

They will have *most* of their size by about 6 months or when they start laying but still have some growing to do for much of their first year (roosters maybe longer).

If they're hatchery birds they're unlikely to be as large as the breed SOP targets.

I had a hatchery Light Brahma rooster who was over 2 feet tall but the hens were considerably shorter.

Still, my Brahmas have been big girls -- Dumpling, my most recent Brahma, was maybe 25% larger than the Australorps and about twice the size of the California White.

They will have *most* of their size by about 6 months or when they start laying but still have some growing to do for much of their first year (roosters maybe longer).
Thanks. Mine are currently just a tad bigger than my Barred rocks, but mostly just bigger in fluff! There's obviously a more noticable difference between the Easter eggers and brahmas but they don't feel as "huge" as their made out to be. Then again, maybe that's just clarifying for me that they're hens, which would make things easier. Awesome breed though either way. They are so sweet.

Thanks. Mine are currently just a tad bigger than my Barred rocks, but mostly just bigger in fluff! There's obviously a more noticable difference between the Easter eggers and brahmas but they don't feel as "huge" as their made out to be. Then again, maybe that's just clarifying for me that they're hens, which would make things easier. Awesome breed though either way. They are so sweet.

I love Brahmas.

The past 2 weeks are the first time I've had chickens without a Brahma in my flock and I miss their stately beauty. But when I sold Ludwig the buyer wanted some hens and I included his favorite girl (with full disclosure that she was 2 years old and had never been a very good layer anyway).

Back
Top Bottom