Brahma Owners

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I was just curious when your Brahma's started laying? The dark brahma I got squats when I pet her, but her face hasn't yet turned red. So just for curiosity's sake I have a few Brahma questions.

When did yours start laying?
    How many eggs do you usually get?
    How often do your hens go broody?
    If they go broody, are they good mothers?

Thanks! Any other information you would like to add about your paticular brahma let me know!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Mine (Gold, Dark, Partridge) started laying at about 6 and a half months. They lay small (for the size of the bird) fairly light coloured eggs with good solid shells and yolks. Mine are free rangers and lay 6 eggs a week usually, tending to lay always in the same place.

Mine have been real brooders. They went broody within a week or two of starting to lay, and my Gold Brahma is broody for the third time (aged 9 months!)....broke the broodiness first time, then had a hatch, now sitting again.

They are big hens who can cover a lot of eggs and mine have been excellent mothers. My hens lost interest in their chicks at about 6 weeks of age and came back into lay at the same time.

Mine may not be typical of all Brahmas, but have all behaved in similar fashion......I love them!

Sandie

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Sandie, thank you for your response! This is my first go round with this breed, and I knew nothing about them when I fell in love with this girl. Appearences really are everything lol! Kidding of course [​IMG]

I am expecting broodiness from her just because of how sweet and motherly she is to my 10 weekers. At least one broody moment. If so it's fine, I was avoiding broody breeds originally but I couldn't resist the Brahma look. I am excited for her first egg! I will be checking the nest box often because she is around 5 or 6 months old I think. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My first brahma to lay was 19 weeks old, a light. The last two to lay were 9 1/2 months old, both darks. All hatched the same day and raised under the exact same conditions.
    My brahma flock continued to grow and gain weight until they were close to 2 years old. At 2 yrs, 3 months old I consider them completely mature now.
    My girls are laying every other day now, better than they did when they were in their first year even. Medium to large eggs, a few whoppers. Dark at the beginning of a laying cycle and growing lighter and lighter towards the end of the cycle.
    Not a broody among them.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    pgpoultry, mind if I ask where you got your brahmas from? I know colors other than the three basics - light, dark, and buff - do exist, but I thought they were pretty rare here in the states. [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Gritsar, thank you so much for your response. I am always curious of peoples personal experience. I have ZIP knowlage of this breed, and simply fell in love with the pattern and color of my new girl. I had avoided broody breeds in the past, but now am ready to handle whatever when and if it comes. Also good to know about the later layers, I guess I shouldn't be 'counting my chickens before they hatch' on the egg laying huh? Joon, my 15 week old Barred Rock may lay well before this girl. I am guessing Monica, my Brahma, is around 5 or 6 months old. She nests in the boxes in the coop rather then roosting, but her face is quite a dainty pink still, no real redness yet.

I like that she is a bigger girl too, myself being a big girl LOL, but she is just beautiful and regal. And modest! The look in her eye is very matter of fact and calm, she doesn't seem to know she is my "showgirl". Don't get me wrong, I love my first two girls Munk and Joon, but Monica is a close second. Thank you again for your responses and if any other Brahma owners would like to offer personal experience that would be great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by