Brahma picking on/pecking EE Bantam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maggie C, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    I have 2 Lt Brahmas (Blondie and Dolly), 2 Black Australorps (Mattie and Aida) and 1 EE Bantam (Lucile) that until recently got along just fine. In the last couple of weeks one of my LBs (Dolly) has been chasing and pecking my little Bantam (Lucile).[​IMG] Dolly isn't aggressive to any of the other hens but has literally stomped on poor little Lucile and frequently pecks her behind her head. Today she actually picked Lucile up by the nape of her neck. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't been outside with them. They have been raised together since they were 3-4 weeks old with no problems/aggression. They all started laying about the same time and egg production has been business as usual - they are about 7-8 months old. It appears to be worse when they are eating. Doesn't matter if it is layer mash, treats or scratch. Am I missing something? What do I do to stop the aggression? I don't want to have to get rid of my cute little bantam.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    From reading here, the usual approach to a bully chicken is to remove her from the flock for a few days, or a week, then return her. The idea is, she will be at the bottom of the pecking order when returned. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by