:/ Brahma questions

Nice looking birds ya got there! They look much nicer than the ones I've had!

My two Light Brahma males have pretty interesting personalities; one is very pretty (and more white) and larger, and the other is smaller and grayer. They both have bald-ish spots on their backs (at about two months). They have "hawk-like" heads and eyes and of course feathered legs and feet (which are both a bit disconcerting to me for some reason), and the small one can get rather annoying, as compared to my other birds he "whines" a lot. They both tend to "hide" in the back of the pen more than any other bird. And yes, they seem to get to be pretty big birds!

Have fun with them!

I'd just like to comment on the personalities of the Light Brahmas. First of all, many years ago when I was a child growing up on a farm, the only hen I can remember that had a name, other than my "special" banties, was a Brahma. We called her Eagle Eye (fits with Evets' "hawk-like") and she was very curious and friendly. I thought she was great.

When I got Brahmas a few years ago, I was rather startled how independent they are. Yes, calm and "not easily startled" but rather a handful on an outing.

I like to take the chicks out into the garden when I'm working there. It is a real "outing" since, except for a small backyard herb garden, a trip to the garden requires climbing in a pet carrier and a drive in the pickup
wee.gif
!!

Once out of the carrier, the Brahmas were all Lil Miss Independents and would head off in a dozen directions, in 2's or 3's or even heading off solo. It was difficult to call them back compared to something like Australorps that I'm more familiar and comfortable with. They became impossible :eek: at a very young age! But then, this curious nature and strength of personality is what I like about them in the first place
idunno.gif

Steve

big_smile.png
I'm loving the compliments! (like I had anything to do with the way they look
tongue.png
) They are starting to get a little rowdy, but I think it's just that they need more room! They swarm the door when we go to open it, and if we're not careful they scoot right by us and practice "flying" across the porch. Really funny! I've got a couple of updated pics, an unexpected turn of events lead me to believe I may have 2 roo's instead of just the one I had been watching... The first pic is the new suspect. He (?) started turning red around the head, like all over, the day after I posted the first pics. His comb is getting wider, but not much taller. They make completely different noise than the others, and I can see why someboby called theirs "whiney". One of them is always crabbin' about something! Too funny...

This is my new suspect

Newroo.jpg

Here is a newer pic of the first suspected roo. His comb is absolutely rising above the rest, and started turning dark this morning.

updatedsuspect.jpg

And here's another of the first, just so maybe you can see what I'm talking about red all over. It's even around and under his beak.

notherviewnewroo.jpg

I love this photo thing! Anyway, if anyone can give me their thoughts about the roo (or 2!) I'd really appreciate it. Oh, and these two have been what I would call sparring. Standing completely upright, beak to beak, and pecking at eachothers faces. This started later the same day I posted the first pics. Can't believe how things can change from day to day... Thanks, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom