Brahma Roosters: Excessive Drooling and Hurt Leg

Easter Chicks

Chirping
Jul 17, 2015
Hi, so I don't think that this is an emergency, but I am rather curious as to what it means if a chicken is drooling a lot.

Louise (who is a rooster, yes, haha) has always drooled a lot. I've caught him with long strands of spit after he's been drinking. My other rooster Thelma has hurt his leg and can't walk, so we have him in a dog crate in the coop. I've been giving Thelma water in a little cup and Louise likes to drink out of it after, as well. Louise tends to put the water in his mouth and spit it out again; he is a very messy drinker.

Then, yesterday, I walked into the coop and saw Louise with frost all over his feathers. It didn't make sense to me, but I was worried about Thelma because for a while he wasn't really drinking out of the water bottle we gave him. So I went and gave Thelma water (which was for , like, five or ten minutes because Thelma takes forever.) The entire time, Louise stood by himself super quiet in the corner behind the cage where I couldn't see him. I found it peculiar. These are brahmas; very large and lazy but Louise never really goes to that corner and he generally talks a lot.
So I decided to check on him and saw this.

Except it was also all over his beak (he shook most of it off before I could take pictures.) I don't know how I thought that was frost but it suddenly occurred to me that it was spit. :/

Anyway, he seems totally fine in every other way; all his usual mannerisms are in place. But I am curious as to what this is. Can a chicken just drool a lot? It was just very foamy. (and no, he was not drinking before this.)

Also, since I'm here, I am worried for Thelma. We think he sprained/twisted his leg. He is starting to stand a little bit; can sit back on his legs. He doesn't appear to be in any pain (unless he tries to walk, of course.) He is eating and drinking and his legs don't appear to be swollen or broken. He's quite clumsy, so maybe he fell off of something.

Any input would be appreciated. Tell me if you need photos or extra information. :)

How old are they, a sprain is certainly possible with a heavier breed like that, otherwise Mareks comes to mind when I hear a chicken can't walk or stand, time will tell if he improves or not over the next week. As far as your other rooster I have seen chickens regurgitate water, but not on a regular basis, if he seems fine otherwise it just might be something he does.

How old are they, a sprain is certainly possible with a heavier breed like that, otherwise Mareks comes to mind when I hear a chicken can't walk or stand, time will tell if he improves or not over the next week. As far as your other rooster I have seen chickens regurgitate water, but not on a regular basis, if he seems fine otherwise it just might be something he does.

About seven or eight months. See, I was reading about Marek's, but he doesn't seem to be showing those symptoms. He is completely fine other than he can't walk. But, I'll continue to watch him. Do you know how long it can take for a sprained leg to heal? If that's the case, I just don't want him to be unable to walk for so long.

Yes, I am hoping it's just his 'thing;' drooling a lot, haha.

Thank you!

I would think it's like a human, he should get better in a week or two. And it's possible to get fracture toes and pull muscles, so any improvement is good news.

Back
Top Bottom