Brahmas - can their legs be too feathered

BigAspirations

Chirping
Oct 28, 2021
Upper Hunter, NSW, Australia
030B5A21-EB53-4633-ACF0-968925E1DD09.jpeg
F0F4FD9B-005D-4417-9056-70E29668B0A5.jpeg
ABEBF032-EEAA-40EA-85B4-BFACDFE9A4AF.jpeg

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I suspect these leg feathers are excessive, even for a Brahma. Can anyone with Brahma knowledge please tell me? I’ve read as much as I can about vulture hocks, and my brahmas don’t have stiff feathers on their thighs - but the feathers on their toes are certainly stiff (big solid quill). This is my 8 week old cockerel. The ladies are the same but they don’t stand so straight to be able to show the extent of feathering as easily. Are they vulture hocks only if they are stiff above the feet?

View attachment 2882488View attachment 2882489View attachment 2882490
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I suspect these leg feathers are excessive, even for a Brahma. Can anyone with Brahma knowledge please tell me? I’ve read as much as I can about vulture hocks, and my brahmas don’t have stiff feathers on their thighs - but the feathers on their toes are certainly stiff (big solid quill). This is my 8 week old cockerel. The ladies are the same but they don’t stand so straight to be able to show the extent of feathering as easily. Are they vulture hocks only if they are stiff above the feet?
I have brahma flock, they have such feathered legs too. So I think it's fine

What a beautiful roo! I have 4 buff Brahmas, one has a lot of feathers on her feet like this. The others not as much, so I think they can have this many. I found this fall when they molted this many feathers coming in on her legs caused a lot of inflamed redness and bloody legs/feathers. I kept nustock on them and that helped. I just wanted to let you know in case you run into this down the road because at first I didn’t know what was going on with her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom