Brain stroke in poultry

ikoCRO

Songster
Nov 27, 2020
There is very little written on the internet about brain stroke in poultry, or I can’t find it?

I have been raising chickens for a long time, but in the last two years I have often had brain strokes in my flock.
Ok, not very often (4 cases in total), but I have never had such cases before! Also, my friends complain that they have it happens often!
A healthy chicken is suddenly paralyzed, wing, neck or leg and remains in that state!
She tries to eat, no diarrhea, no other signs of illness, she has an appetite, she doesn't die ...- the paralysis remains !?
I tried to treat, with various medications, antibiotics, vitamins, even immobilizing the paralyzed leg of my lavender Araucane — without success!

Can anyone describe to me something more about brain stroke?
Why is it happening, is there a cure?

Are you sure they arent sick from mareks or egg binding? Are you getting a necropsy done that definitely states its a stroke?
Well if you think whan egg stuck..than that is not case,because roosters too have stroke!
I did done necropsy(by myself),to check possibility of inner disease,but everything is clean-normal.
I have been raising chickens for a long time and I know how to recognize most diseases.
I am 100% sure it is not Newcastle, Marek or similar diseases!

It sounds like possible Mareks disease, a virus that affects the brain, and causes paralysis in one or both legs or wings, sometimes can cause wry neck (torticolis,) tumors on nerves and organs, and changes in the eye. If you lose another chicken, it would be best to contact your state vet in the US, for a necropsy and testing. Here is some info on Mareks:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Thank you all for your answers.
I vaccinate chickens with a multivalent vaccine (and against Marek) and I know how to recognize Marek!
This is not the case, they just get a brain stroke!
I live in Croatia, CAT scan is not possible!
I am interested in how to prevent and treat it!

Thank you all for your answers.
I vaccinate chickens with a multivalent vaccine (and against Marek) and I know how to recognize Marek!
This is not the case, they just get a brain stroke!
I live in Croatia, CAT scan is not possible!
I am interested in how to prevent and treat it!
It’s Mareks lol.

Frequent brain strokes in chickens is not a thing.
You are describing Mareks disease.
Your vaccine must not work.

Back
Top Bottom